tips for trip to Argentina

steven_chan3

I'll be Argentina for 9 days at the end of November and wanted to get

some tips on what kind of film, filters, and lenses to bring. It's

going to be 3 days in Buenos Aires, 4 days in southern Patagonia (to

see the glaciers and Fitz Roy area) and then 2 days at Iguazu Falls.

I prefer to shoot slide film for scenics and my wife likes print film

for pictures of us, so I need to bring both. I like both Provia 100

and Sensia 100, so I was thinking about bringing one of these. Will

these films be fast enough? Are they good for glaciers? What about

Velvia 50?

For print film, I am thinking about Portra 400NC because I use it a

lot and like it. Will there be any need for a faster film like Fuji

Press 800?

As for filters, I only use a polarizer and warming filter regularly.

I guess a graduated ND might come in handy here. The cokin p type

filters seem to be pretty bulky and not well suited for travel. Any

thoughts?

About lenses, I was planning to bring a 24/2.8, 50/1.8, and 85/1.8.

I also have a 20-35/2.8 and 80-200/2.8, but am thinking about leaving

them at home to save weight (i.e. my wife doesn't want photography to

be the only thing we do or bring on this trip.).

Thanks for any tips.

Steven,

Hard to give specifics, but I'll give some general advice. My wife and I traveled for 6 wks through S. America about 6 years ago. We hit BA, Iguazzu and the very Northern portion of Patagonia.

I think your lens choices are OK, but I do think you'll want for a medium telephoto like the 80-200. There's significant wildlife to see and shoot and many things you'll probably need the range for that the 85 just won't get you close to. I'd personally choose the 20-35 over the 24 prime just for the added wide angle...you'll definately want that additional width at Iguazzu.

The Cokin P is dang handy and, if you cut off the 2 outer slots, not that bulky really. If you have the ND grads or need an excuse to get some this might be it.

I can't imagine many situations you'd need anything faster than that 400 ISO unless you guys really love shooting church interiors or something. The vast majority of sites worth seeing were outdoors in bright sunlight (btw, bring lens hoods and that polarizer for Iguazzu, I had a terrible time controlling glare there). Hope you have 2 bodies if you're shooting prints and slides. I'd personally pick one or the other, or give your wife her own camera loaded with print film--or better yet, spend $200-300 on a P&S digital for her and leave the print film out of the equasion completely.

Don't forget a light weight tripod...gotta have it.

Have fun, it's a beautiful place.

to start with 4 days isnt even close to long enough to see patagonia and certainly not long enough to get much in the way of photo opurtunities. a sun rise on the fitzroy mountains or cerro torre is awesome. See my folder for one of fitz roy

watch our when taking shots with snow or glaciers as the light meter can get tricked.

have fun it is an awesome place

I can only tell you about BA, as I spent about 20 days there two days ago.

Great place to photograph people!

Now, you'll be there in the beginning of their summer so be prepared for humid conditions and heat. Hit the Ave. 9 de Julio (reputedly the widest avenue in the world: 9 lanes, IIRC), and the Calle Florida, which is pedestrian. All your primes should work fine there, but be warned: days can be weird in terms of lighting. Don't expect blue skies (they're rather grey) unless you're extremely lucky. Also, with your wide lenses you'll be able to walk down Ave. 25 de Mayo and do some architectural photography. Beware of public buildings unless you're at a distance: police can be extremely sensitive due to the political situation. And never go alone photographing! I'm sure you've been told this, but just make sure to keep your gear within reach, never lose track of it, or you'll lose it.

The San Telmo neighborhood should be a beautiful area to shoot: houses with lots of character and life. This is a very blue-collar, yet authentic Argentine area, close to the port. Again, beware of pickpockets roaming the area (it's very visited by tourists, especially on weekends, when the market is on at the main plaza).

If I were you, I'd look for 400 slide and print film. Forget the 800 and the need to have it hand-inspected at every airport. Take 400 slide film; you can always push it. Good luck and have some mate for me!

Good choice Steven! Well... to say the truth I cannot say anything else since I'm argentinian! ;-P)

I think you're going well equiped. I only suggest that if you're a Fuji film user, take your owns, there have been some commercial problems with the local distributor, so it won't be easy to get this branch of film there. Not the same with Kodak or Konica, you'll find them everywhere. You can develope them there, in Florida street in Buenos Aires there's a good lab, Kodak Express, they can make scans of your slides also, probably with a better price than the one back at your home coutry.

Agree about the glacier and Patagonia area, you would need more time, springtime is one of the most wonderfull time of the year, for the colors you'll find. If you're planning to go to Iguazú Falls, ough...!! that's a long trip, man! You'll be almost "running" from one corner of the country to the other!!

Have fun, people is courteous, I agree about the cares you should take, specially in the turistical places in Buenos Aires. But that happens everywhere... isn't it?

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! Very useful stuff. I would love to stay for several weeks, but unfortunately, there is no way I can take that many days off from work. Since I am flying everywhere (except for the bus from Calafate to Chalten), hopefully, that will make things a little better.

-Steven

I would agree that the 20-35 would be a good choice for both Iguazu and Glaciers. Bring a tripod! If you have a macro capable lens, bring it for the flowers that are everywhere. Don't bother with the Itaipu (sp?) dam on the Parana river between Brazil and Paraguay unless you are a civil engineering buff. If you have a lighter telezoom than the 80-200 f/2.8 I would bring that. Take your polarizer and perhaps the warming filter for the glaciers. Provia is great for all these places. I, myself, would not bother with print film, but have prints made from the best slides. I never needed fast film down there.

Steven, I live in Uruguay, next to Argentina, and have visited and photographed there as a tourist a number of times. This is my experience:

You will probably find weather humid and quickly changing, which makes for nice cloud effects when not gray and cloudy. Iguazu is tropical, southern Patagonia cold. Buenos Aires is a wonderful, colourful, european style big city. Readily available film is Kodak, then Agfa.

Best subjects should be landscapes (specially in Iguazu and the south), architectural/urban subjects in Buenos Aires, and maybe folklorical shows if you like them (tango shows for instance). If you want to take photos of tango dancers, etc then you will need fast film, at least 400 but better higher if you can. Landscapes would go well with 100 ASA film or even slower. Plan on buying film (and maybe developing, check prices, so you avoid the X-ray airport menace)in Buenos Aires because professional types may be scarce or expired in the other areas. Consumer color negative film is plentiful but anything else may be hard to find outside Buenos Aires even in tourist areas. There are fine labs in Buenos Aires (follow recommendations of Nestor Botta), quality elsewhere may vary.

in Iguazu: If you can, skip Itaipu dam in Iguazu and go again to the waterfalls, choosing time of day and side of view (Argentina side from above or Brazil side from below, my preference is Brazilian side in the afternoon) as per your preference, and you will have a great time. The waterfalls and the jungle around them (best seen in the Argentinian side) are good nature subjects.

Try to minimize weight since Iguazu is very warm and humid and you may have to walk quite a bit.

If you go to Bariloche in the south be prepared for some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the planet. I have never been to the glaciers but friends who have tell me that you must have luck with the weather to find good photo opportunities. I would definitely choose Bariloche over the glaciers for landscape photography any time.

On the lenses side my ranking would be 1) 50 mm 2) 24 mm or 20-35 according to your preferences. With those two you have probably 90 % of the opportunities covered. If you plan on sunset/sunrise photos, then a 80-200 would also be handy but you need a lot of luck with the weather and the trip plan. Moreover a 80-200 may probably not be long enough for wildlife.

I do not recommend a tripod unless you take the 80-200. You might want to consider a bean bag, even an improvised one (such as clothes or a bag upon a rock or tree stump) will be more practical than a tripod. That is, unless you have FULL control of your time which is hard with group travelling (groups include wives :) I do not think you will need the 85 but it is a question of personal preferences, style and subject choice.

So it boils down to taking or not the 80-200 along with a normal and wideangle. I would not take the 80-200. But if you do take it consider faster film (400 or more) and a bean bag better than tripod.

Have a nice trip