3rd attempt_ all critiques are welcome

abbie_benson

I have trouble getting the metering correct with these landscapes. I

also run into difficulty when scanning. I use my dads EPSON 2450,

and scan the negatives, but the photos on screen don't look as good

as the prints. I have to sharpen and even though using a fineer

grained film, T-max 100, I get a lot of grain in the sky. Contrast

is also off. I've tired to fix it in PS. Any sugggestions?<div>005cH9-13801984.jpg.b74700d512a04b77feaae0c910112f96.jpg</div>

First of all, using a flatbed with a 35mm adapter is not going to give you results that hold up critically.

As for sharpening, I would suggest that you learn edge sharpening techniques. Fred Miranda has a free photoshop plugin that's a good place to start, also check the PDF articles on the digital dog website.

Robert, grain aliasing is a notorious problem when scanning b&w film. It seems as tho' the better the scanner the more it emphasizes the grain.

Ed Hamrick's Vuescan includes filters to reduce grain, and also allows multiple passes (if I'm using the correctly term) that helps distinguish real information on the negative from grain.

For web display I rely on the miracle of pixel averaging to minimize grain. Start out with a full rez scan and gradually resample it downward. By the time you get to a reasonable size for online display the grain is miraculously gone!

Not practical if the desired output is print, tho'.

Each photo appears under exposed. There is no shadow detail. I can�t be sure whether this is a problem with the negative or the scan. If the negatives are thin try reducing the film speed 1 stop, e.g. shot ISO 100 film at EI 50. If your camera doesn�t allow you to set the film speed then dial in +1 stop of exposure compensation.

Hope this helps,

The posted version appears underexposed, like the other shots. You might try

stopping down more as the DOF isn't there for landscapes. Lose the post in the

center, it's too distracting. The sky in this shot looks better to me, have you tried

using a red filter?