Hello,

I post on the large format forum alot, but to be honest this forum

has to be the most straight forward, non-"expert" BBS on

photo.net.

Those who also post or look at the large format forum know what

I mean!!! Everytime you ask a question, you don't get an answer

you get an arguement that somehow manages to work either joh

n sexton, ebony view cameras, $7000 enlargers, or extreme

expensive hobbiest ways of doing things.

After, a long spell of having my film processed- I have decided to

start processing 5x7 and 8x10 film again. My question is- how

are others like me (living in an apartment, and using

comprimised facilities) drying their sheet film???

I plan on processing around 10-20 sheets at a time, and am

baffeled over what is the best way to go about this. It is not like

hanging 6 rolls of 35mm in a garmet bag.

Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks

james

Small binder clips hung from the ceiling on a wire, or on a shower curtain rod work just fine for me. Just attach at one corner. You can get binder clips at office stores. This works better than clothes pins, which don't hold as securely. I only do this with 4x5, but they should easily work for 8x10. I don't have dust problems so I never tried to build an enclosure for this purpose.

I don't think that is the way that John Sexton would have done it. Okay, just kidding. I use binder clips also, attached to one corner in the clear border, so that the film hangs diagonally. I have a rather large book shelf so I insert a dowel, pencil, swizzle stick etc, into the hole in the clip, lay the end of the dowel on a shelf and place a book on the end to hold it.
James G. Dainis

I hang sheet film from the corner using Kodak stainless dental xray film clips I have had for forty years. Their claim to fame is that they leave just a single tiny pinhole - no big marks. They are still available on the web, with a little searching.

Hang the film in a room with no foot traffic, get out quickly and close the door. Still air is far better than all the finest cleanliness and filtration methods.

James,

I use a retractable clothesline over the tub and clothespins. The clothesline retracts into a springloaded reel in a canister that is about 3" in diameter and mounts to the wall on one side. There is a small catch for the end of the line on the opposite wall. I hang the sheets by the corners. When I need to dry more than the 12 or so I can fit on this rig, I tie a piece of fishing line to one end of the clothesline and stretch it across the room to a light fixture. This triples my "capacity". I have a nice roomy darkroom, but have been using this makeshift method successfully for years and see no reason to change. Were I to "upgrade", I would probably buy another two or three of the clothesline rigs and string them in parallel. Regards.

I never thought of using binder clips. Clothespins have always worked well for me, but I only use 4x5 film, so yeah, I can see that with an 8x10 sheet of film you might have a problem. I just hang my film in the darkroom on a length of clothesline rope suspended from a couple of hooks screwed into the wall.

I use alligator clips purchased from Radio Shack. They only leave tiny marks and have a hole beneath the insulation to thread the clothes line through.

I also found that a flood lamp shining at them from about 10 ft away accelerates the drying without affecting the film itself.

Excuse me but that is precisely how John Sexton does it. And after I use my Ebony 8x10 camera I also develope my film and hang it from a clothesline in the bathroom by clips and then I use my $7000 enlarger to print them. Ha!!!!!

All kidding aside, hanging your film by the corners is the accepted and most widely used way to dry sheet film. Be sure to use a photoflow type additive to your rinse so that you minimize dust. And if you dry in the bathroom, run a hot shower for 5 mins and that will help settle a lot of the dust.

I also use binder clips. I took a length of #12 wire (house electrical wire with insulation still in place, red, white, black, green) and then put small bends in it every 2" or so (it looks like a series of small mountains or saw teeth). I bent the ends and placed it over the shower rod in a bathroom. The clips will stay in one place because of the bends. The bends also help keep film from touching because the clips are kept from twisting by the bends.

• 6 years later...
<p>I hang it with binder clips in the bathroom I attach two suction cups to the wall tile they have a little s hook on them run a small wire between the suction cups and hang 8x10 film..Also I run the shower hot water for a few minutes or so to reduce static and dust in the room. next day their isn't a spot of dust on them.. works great...</p>

<p>I hang it with binder clips in the bathroom I attach two suction cups to the wall tile they have a little s hook on them run a small wire between the suction cups and hang 8x10 film..Also I run the shower hot water for a few minutes or so to reduce static and dust in the room. next day their isn't a spot of dust on them.. works great...</p>