Quick HP5+/D-76 Question

One quick question for all you lovely B&W film users out there:

What EIs do you shoot HP5+ at, and, if you use D-76/ID-11, what

time/temperature do you develop for? If I'm shooting 400, what do you

think would be a good development time?

Thanks very much for your reply.

I've shot several rolls at EI 400, and used the recommended time/ temperature from the Ilford data sheets. This seems to be a reasonably contrasty combination, and I'm thinking at some point, I'll cut back on speed and increase exposure to help with shadow areas. I've had problems with detail in shadows being there, but very difficult to print without dodging/ burning.

Using D-76 (1:1) dilution, I have had good results using 10 minutes

at 70 F developer temperature, as per the Ilford charts. No prewetting the film, and 1 agitation series (4 inversions) per minute. I used a water stop.

I plan to experiment some in the future to see if I can get better detail in the highlights, but I am a novice and am not sure if adjusting dev time will take care of it or if I need to adjust the exposure (EI) as well.

I did try shooting a roll at EI 200, and used 8 minutes development (70F) with D76 (1:1), but there does not appear to be any advantage or disadvatage to doing so. The grain may be slightly better in the EI200 roll, but I did not get the increased tonality that I was looking for.

The finest grain and smoothest tonality I've seen with HP5+ was at EI 250 in ID-11 at 1:1. Don't recall the time other than that it was around 10% less than the chart suggested. But I chose that time for a specific lighting condition and subject matter, not simply because there's something magical about developing for less time than recommended. Generally I find Ilford's charts of suggested times/temperatures to be accurate for average conditions.

At EI 400 in ID-11 results are very comparable tho' gradation suffers a bit.

To get a "look" closer to that often associated with Tri-X (what I define as aesthetically appealing grain) try HP5+ at 400 in Ilfosol-S or Rodinal. Grainier but with good tonality, perhaps more suitable for high key portraiture than landscapes or fine art.

At EI 800 in Microphen, 1:0 or 1:1, HP5+ is much grainier but retains shadow detail, tonal range and keeps highlights in check. Useful if speed is needed and grain is desired without sacrificing other qualities.

Within a narrower EI range, generally around 250-800, HP5+ has slightly better acutance, finer grain and better shadow detail than Tri-X Pan. These are fairly subtle differences tho'. Tri-X has a wider EI range, seems responsive to a larger selection of developers and has a certain "look" that still appeals to me.

Using a densitometer I have found that, for me, the film is ISO 200.

I develop it in D76 1:1 at 75F for nine minutes. This produces a Zone IX density of 1.15 which is Normal-1 development that I use for roll film.

Normal development is ISO 250, D76 1:1 at 75F for 10:30. This produces Zone VIII of about 1.15 but starts to roll off at the shoulder earlier, making highlights require burning in more often, so mostly I stick with the N-1 developing scheme.