Rangefinder Focus Problems - Zeiss Super Ikonta

bruce_varner

Hello,

I am trying again. Does anyone know how to fix the problem where a

Zeiss Super Ikonta (my 532/16) does not focus correctly using the

rangefinder? Or does anyone know anyone who can answer this

question. I am having no problem taking the camera apart and putting

it back together. It is just the issue of how to determine the

correct alignment of the rangefinder prisms.

Zeiss Super Ikonta -- 532/16 (pre war)

Lens -- CZJ Tessar 1:2.8 f8cm

Compur Rapid rim-set shutter to 1/400 second

Bruce

Kansas City Metro Area

USA

Hello Bruce,

I normally would not tell someone how to fix a camera I could earn money off of, but since I am well into my second Martini, I will tell you how to fix the problem.

<P>

Once the front end is apart--Black front cover removed and distance ring taken off of lens. Open the back and put a ground glass onto the film plain and open the shutter on B. Turn the front element to focus on infinity (aiming the camera at a far distant object). Now that the lens is correct consentrate on the range finder by turning the small gears that rotate the prisms (after having whitness marked them), making note of which way the bright spot moves and knowing what was wrong in the first place. If the image moves in the veritcal plane move it back, and try the other gear (I think it is the top gear for horizontal and bottom for vertical). Get the range finder on for the same object at inifity. Now witness mark the lens and gears and reassemble the camera. <P>

If it is still not right--stop fiddeling around and give the camera to a qualified professional.

<P>

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to obtain enough informaiton to complete the repair and thought I would publish my experiences on my 532/16 Zeiss Super Ikonta B.

I purchased an excellent 532/16 Super Ikonta B that had a problem involved the rangefinder not focusing correctly. I have been asking questions everywhere I could in an attempt to either find someone who could reliably repair the camera or preferably explain to me how the repair was accomplished.

After receiving some responses I began working on the problem. After some trial and error I successfully completed the repair and now have a perfect 532/16 in every way. I thought it might hope so others to see how the repair was accomplished.

One word of warning! If you do not have any prior experience with small mechanical device repair, not attempt this!

The link is:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/btvarner/Bruce/zeiss_ikonta_b.htm

Bruce Varner

• 5 years later...
  • 6 years later...