buy a new one until tomorrow. I have two rolls of film I must develop

for class tomorrow, though!

Simple question: Is it it better to underdevelop or overdevelop film

by, say, 60 seconds? "Common wisdom" says overdevelop, but fine

photographers such as Mr. Barry Thornton say that its almost always

easier to print a negative that has been underdeveloped by printing

on a higher contrast grade than trying to salvage one that has been

overdeveloped. Any suggestions?

OR, intensification vs. reduction? Both are possible, but limited. I'd opt for the possibility of slight underdevelopment with the option of intensification in selenium, and fine tuning with VC paper. If you've developed many rolls of film, you should have a rough idea what 68F feels like. Is your tap water warmer or cooler? Venture a guess, and go with tap water for consistency. OR, fill some jugs with water and let them reach room temp., and go with your thermostat setting as a good guess. Okay, now back to reality, unless you're developing to 1/10th stop tolerances, or C-41, or at high temps (80f+), +/- 60sec. is within the range of film latitude combined with any decent VC paper, so my honest recommendation is to process normally and adjust for any errors in printing. Good luck, and relax, it's not really that big of a disaster.

I'll "me too" that last one: dilute the developer to slow things down, then let your chemicals sit long enough to reach room temp, look at the thermostat on the wall, and go for it. Typical spring thermostats are not that accurate, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, if you have no thermostat...

I can never find my thermometer, so I've calibrated my right index finger instead. Every onece in a while I check it against my thermometer (i.e. whenever I can find it), and I've never been more than 0.5 off 20°C. You haven't done this already?

Here's a 'neat-o' trick I use. I've worked out how long it takes to microwave one litre of fridge water (4°C) to 20°C in my 650 watt microwave oven. No more messing around adding bit of hot water there, then some cold, damn it! too cold. Add some more hot water, etc etc...

Stu :)

(PS. The time is 24 seconds at Med.Low setting)

Yes, slight under-development is better than under.

Go to the pet department at any drug or dept store and get any of the column types used for aquariums. It's what I use. Grab the one that has the average reading and you'll be darn close to any standard.

Even grocery stores often carry digital ones.