ABC Pyro and HP5 & FP 4

Try looking at Ed's site (unblinkingeye.com) in the PMK Pyro times. I think you will find a reasonable starting point if you use the PMK data for your first test (no idea about the ABC/PMK times, but you should be very close with this as a reference). Run a test strip with 35mm or 4x5 first to get in the ball park. You will most likely be using an ASA of 1/2 the manufacturer's rated speed.

Use distilled water for development to keep times consistent. Make sure to agitate properly.

I have just developed a batch of each in 5x7 this weekend.. can hardly wait to print out on azo. I used 1:1:1:7 at rm temp (70deg, didn't measure since I have finally been able to get the hang of the whole development by inspection thing). I started inspecting for highlight density for the HP5 (shot at 200) at approx 8 min...ended up leaving it in until 9 min until highlights were more visible under the safelight (#3 green).

The FP4 (arista125) shot at 64... I started inspecting at 6 min, Stopped development at 7 min. I was stunned by the quality of the FP4, in spite of the fact that the HP5 is supposed to have less of a shoulder than FP4. The HP5 was a bit grainy (not to worry with contact printing, especially in your case with 7x17)

Pitfalls: I don't know as this is my first run at ABC...I've had several years of PMK for negatives to be enlarged. The only thing I get out of this first ABC try is that FP4 has less fog and looks more contrasty than the HP5 even though the scenes photographed with HP5 were inherently more contrasty (could be lens flare in my case due to contrasty scene with my HP5) I'll know more next weekend after I actually print out the negatives.

Hi Steve. I shoot HP5 in 8x10 and develop by inspection in ABC Pyro. I rate the film at EI 100, and develop for around 10-15min. @ room temp. I shoot mostly portraits in fairly low contrast light, and get good contrast in my HP5 negs with ABC Pyro. I find the combination to work beautifully for my needs, and can only imagine how stunning a 7x17 contact print made by the same method could look. Good luck.