OT good grief

j m shaw

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen,

The job market may be better here in the states, but it isn't that good. I think Mark's comments indicated his situation well. I think that if he could get a job that he enjoyed for $10 an hour tomorrow he probably would. He is genuinely disturbed by the actions that day IMO. Whether it rises to the level of quiting without another job, that is for Mark to decide. Being a working stiff myself, I am among those that go from paycheck to paycheck at times. For me this does not rise to that level, unless facts are missing.

To others:

It is now being raised that it was a old widow lady that got cheated. Would it matter that it was a man? From the comments its seems for some that it would.

Huh? Am I the only one that sees the two RATIONAL sides of the

coin?

Mark didn't witness a murder. It was a deal HE identified as

being unfair. But there IS a possibility the unfairness wasn't as

great as he imagined. He spoke up and said something to the

collegue. He wasn't fired for doing so, so the collegue ISN"T the

boss. Now, he is thinking about bringing it up to the boss. The

way I would do it would not to make it confrontational.

Mark, simply state the facts and the collegues' response to your

feeling it was unfair. Ask for the business reason so you can

better understand the stores' POV on aquiring such gear. Bet it is

similar to my rationale and the other person who did the math on

this thread. If not, then you can quietly look for another job and

when you quit tell them exactly why.

another job and when you quit tell them exactly why.

Well, we all have to survive, so perhaps you are right. Me, i would have gone loopy...could not handle ripping off some ones Mom. Right is right...no compromise, i would rather not suvive, if that is the deal. Call me a Dodo.

Come on guys. It is obvious that Mark is upset with the transaction but to make personal statements on his ethics in this difficult situation is,in my opinon, not fair.

I admire him for posting this workplace situation that caused him discomfort and one that left him very few options. He had to measure the risk to reward to his job and paying his bills. I assume he isn't a manager at the photo store which would have put the responsibity for that transaction on him. If, after speaking to his manager about this transaction he can then decide if he should look for a more ethical workplace. Good luck Mark.

What if, what what. Scum is Scum...really, it is that simple. Why try to justify it. Only Scum do that. They love the old and weak, and young and helpless. If you ignore it, you are part of it...no justification. Really..your choice. Politics, about power and money. What do they care. Saying the right words to the lemmings, that what matters.Votes!

This reminds me of what happened to my ex-girlfriend: she goes into the Saturn dealership to get her oil changed. Leaking drain plug since the tech didn't tighten it down. Blocks later at an intersection her idiot light lights up- oil pressure! Engine screwed. Goes back to the dealership- we gotta used engine with only 5000 miles on the clock from a wreck. Pop in the "new" engine, everything's fine. If it were me, I'd demand a new engine, since I don't know the history of the used engine. Don't know how it was broken in, whether the oil was ever run low, overheated, etc. Guess it depends on the actor and actee. I thought she got screwed myself. Told the manager I wasn't going to buy a Saturn from them ever.

I appreciate all the positive feedback and respect the negative also. Looking back I should have spoken up, and if the opportunity arose told her to get a second opinion. Lesson learned. I did talk to my co. worker he felt given condition of equip. it was fair or close too????? I am still thinking about talking to my boss?? thanks again. Mark

am still thinking about talking to my boss?? thanks again. Mark

Be a man,have some bottle, stand up. Have pride in yourself. Money matters, you matter more. Pride in yourself is beyond money. You won't starve. Be a man, not just in name.Don't be a bender. Respect yourself, the world will respect you. Nobody,including yourself, respects a bender...who loves Jude? Only Politicisations .

I assumed William G. was joking with the "step outside" remark. If not, then offering to demonstrate your ethical superiority by threatening to beat up people who disagree with you is the real joke.

And you shouldn't assume he'd win. After all, I'd fight dirty. ; )

<i>dexter legasp, you are a Phil brain, just some sad little Troll. Get a life, and take some decent photos. Plonker!</i><br><br>

now that's uncalled for. why do you keep calling names to people who disagree with you? since you typed in pretty sick insults, you should have at least given me the consolation of spelling my name right.

If anyone watched 60 Minutes tonight, they would know about the legal ripoff the Halliburton has perpetrated on the US taxpayers with their contract to rebuild Iraq, to the tune of $7 Billion, that's $7,000,000,000, in a no-bid contract. No other bidders were allowed. That's $70 per US family. The contract is secret and cannot be seen by anyone. There are many other contract such as this that go on routinely in DC, yet nobody speaks out about them. As a taxpayer I'm outraged, yet I cannot do anything.

Mark, Is there a way to speak to your boss and appeal to his sense of morality and fair play? If your boss backs up your colleague then perhaps you can track down the old lady and call your local newspaper with the story. I guarantee years from now your $150,000 a year job will rest on another moral decision. The fact that you posted this story means it is really bothering you which means you are a decent person so don't let some $10/hr. job compromise your integrity. Life is full of such decisions so start making them now.