Leica 21-35mm lens on the Leicaflex SL

gary e

Does anyone know if the new Leica 21-35mm lens can be used on the

Leicaflex SL? Or is it modifiable to 2 or 3 cams? I have been

wanting a wide angle for some time now, but have not found an

acceptable 28mm or 21mm. I read many good reviews on this new lens

and had hoped it was someway possible.

Gary

As far as I know the answer is yes, but it will need to have the ROM contact removed in order to mount the lens. This can be replaced by any Leica repair place with the 2nd cam to give full meter coupling to the SL. Leica's info does not say that there is any other reason it will not fit on the SL.

It is apparetnly an excellent zoom, although personally I find f4 a bit slow on the 35mm end. I love the current 28mm Elmarit myself - it is an exceptional performer, so I am a little unclear as to why you cannot find a satisfactory w/a at present. The current 19mm is also superb. If you want a 21mm, I agree the existing R lenses are not so great. The new zoom is good value by Leica standards and if you do not mind the speed I would look at it carefully.

Robin Smith

Aside from the meter coupling issue, there's also a mirror clearance issue. The Leica-R mirror clearance specs changed between the SL and SL2 to accomodate a few Minolta-built lenses (16mm Fisheye, 24mm Elmarit-R, 80-200 f/4.5 Vario-Elmar-R) and this clearance spec has been used on every Leica reflex from the SL2 onward.

<P>

Clearance is an issue primarily with wide-angle lenses; of the lenses not compatible with the SL, only two are longer than 35mm: the current 50mm Summilux-R and the old 80-200mm f/4.5 zoom. From the illustration of the 21-35mm zoom on Leica's website it looks like this is an issue for this lens as well. In other words, to use this lens on an SL you'd probably have to not only have the lens converted to 3-cam but also have the SL's mirror trimmed so it doesn't strike the rear of the lens. Leica doesn't provide the cam conversion service for some lenses, for example, the current 80-200mm f/4.

Robin, Leica's PDF file for the 50mm Summilux-R states that the lens can be modified to fit the SL2. The PDF for the 180mm APO-Elmarit-R states that the lens can be modifed to fit Leicaflexes. The PDF for the 21-35 zoom says nothing about any of the Leicaflexes; it seems they now mention Leicaflexes only if modification is possible, and they don't say anything if the lens cannot be converted. I agree, Gary ought to ask to be certain but I suspect that Leica's silence on the matter means "tough luck, get an R" if he wants to use the 21-35.

<P>

OTOH the "Leica Program" book from a few years ago states that the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R can't be converted, but earlier this week Dave Elwell at Leica USA told me the cost of the conversion would be $200. Go figure.

Thank you all for your responses. After finding and visiting Doug's fabulous website about Leicaflex SL and SL2's, it got me curious to look into the R line. My friend already had an R8, but the mechanical SL appealled to me more.

I meant that I couldn't decide between any of the wide angles offered in the primes. I had hoped the 21-35 would fit the bill to my 50 & 90 collection instead of getting 2 more WA primes making my travel bag heavier.