New Tri-X and Rodinal 1:25 : Excessive B+F?

clayh

I've been pretty pleased with the new Tri-X 400 using pyrocat HD

(8m), D-76 1:1(7.5m) and Rodinal at 1:100 for 20 minutes. The other

day, I processed a roll in Rodinal 1:25 for 7 minutes because I

wanted some exaggerated grain effects, and noticed that the film

edges had a much higher fog level than when used in the other

developers. I measured the density and it was an amazing 0.5! Is

this typical of Rodinal used at this dilution? Any experience out

there with potent Rodinal?

Clay

I'm not able to answer your question about density, but I can tell you FWIW, that last week I shot my first roll of the new Tri-X (400TX), and developed it in Rodinal 1+25. My reason for this film/developer/dilution choice was sort of opposite to yours. I used to develope old tri-X in HC-110B because I thought Rodinal would give me bigger grain than I wanted. However, I developed the new Tri-X in Rodinal because I had read that the new Tri-X is more fine grained than the old (and more fine grained than T Max, as well). I did indeed get what I was hoping for: The grain is not at all large, even though I developed in Rodinal 1+25. I like the tonality and overall look, and am eager to explore this film/developer combination further. Here is a shot from that roll.<div>004o0k-12034584.jpg.b0600569eba518faf66d25afa7e45ca1.jpg</div>

Definitely the developer causing dichroic fog. There is a tiny less-foggy strip where the film was in contact with the stainless spirals during development. It is not really a problem, as I can just 'print' through the fog, but it is strange because none of the other developers seem to exhibit this, or for that matter, neither does Rodinal at higher dilutions. All the film in question is from the same brick of film, BTW.

I think your conclusion that Rodinal caused the fog is premature. It might be insufficient fixing. The new Tri-X (like TMAX films) requires more fixing than normal, using fresh fixer with vigorous agitation. Rapid fix is recommended.