Everybody's a Photographer

yes, but then again, there are more people than at any time in history 😁

What I think is the big change is the number of pictures per person. the combination of digital and cell phone cameras has had a huge effect on the number of photos taken. 

• Like 1

I'd agree that more people are taking pictures. (More people are driving cars, cycling, getting tattoos, getting piercings, ...) I'd also agree that more people are photographers. And I'm not sure I'd say that all or even most of those taking pictures are photographers and, I think, neither would they.

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1
  • On Point 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I think more photos are being taken than ever before. Not all that long ago everyone’s mom had an Instamatic in her purse and it wasn’t uncommon to find 2 or 3 Christmas holidays on a roll of film. Then came CoolPix type digitals and then one on every phone. Frankly I’m wondering why we don’t see more UFO photos.

Rick H.

• Like 2

I just shot a lovely photo of the package of bulbs we installed in our outdoor porch lights, so I get the same color temperature bulb to replaced the light on the pole outside.  I also have really wonderful images of my new guitar amp's serial numbers, the serial numbers inside my Taylor guitar, the numbers on the back of some cable boxes being returned (because they are just too small to read, even with my progressive lenses), and I keep a photo of my car's license plate as a favorite, when I need it for a parking payment machine.

6 minutes ago, Ken Katz said:

I just shot a lovely photo of the package of bulbs we installed in our outdoor porch lights, so I get the same color temperature bulb to replaced the light on the pole outside.  I also have really wonderful images of my new guitar amp's serial numbers, the serial numbers inside my Taylor guitar, the numbers on the back of some cable boxes being returned (because they are just too small to read, even with my progressive lenses), and I keep a photo of my car's license plate as a favorite, when I need it for a parking payment machine.

I usually photograph the nearest street sign when I park.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 3:08 PM, Sanford said:

Would you agree that there are

Yes. Without any doubt. There are IHMO 3 main drivers for this:

- the ubiquitous cell-phone cameras that allow people to take any photos/videos anywhere and at any time with reasonably high quality

- the 'photo/video' sharing culture that (socially) stimulates and rewards people for exchanging their cell-phone photos and videos with each other

- the 'traditional media' that are a) focusing more and more on their online presence and b) as a consequence, aim to include less text and more and more visual content in their on-line presence

I should add a note: there are many reputable news outlets (the BBC and the NYT Times just as 2 random examples) who -online- always place 'news' front and foremost, Preferably with supporting 'visual media' but otherwise (until supporting visual media arrives) just in text.

But I totally agree that 'more people are taking pictures now than at any time in history'.

• Like 1

I agree, more than ever folks have access to a photo device (at this point it seems thats a good way to summarize what photo technology is these days compared to previous decades: photo device), be it a cell phone or a DSLR. Back in 2010, as Head of Production at a small media production company, we could not even imagine 4K in a mobile device, let alone using one professionally. And the storage of those images / videos - using cloud with 5G for big files... that too seemed like science fiction in a way. That has indeed changed in the last decade or so I think. Photography has become commonplace in a new way imho.

• Like 2
  • Excellent! 1