What is the correct name for this vintage Kodak item?

Niels - NHSN

A large format photographer friend of 40 years ago explained he used a filter like this to visualise black and white scenes.

First and only time I saw this item in use.

Today I got one in a box of accessories and wanted to Google the principles behind it's use, but fail to get results as I don't know what it is called.

It is black plastic where the filter can fold in and out. It is approximately 5 by 5cm when collapsed. The filter is very dark amber'ish.

What is the correct name for this thing?

IMG_9327.thumb.JPG.146f70ccef660b5ede24aff4b873d5ce.JPG

IMG_9328.thumb.JPG.937c02af374cb25cedbee1650fa59635.JPG

Niels

Kodak used to sell a Wratten # 90 gel (B&W viewing filter) that was made for the same purpose--a filter that would help a photographer to visualize how a photograph would look in black and white.  I used to use one of these quite a bit when I shot a lot of 4x5 B&W.  I bought the gel and mounted a piece of it in a 35 mm Gepe glass slide mount, which I also masked off to fit the 4x5 aspect ratio.  I also drilled a hole in a corner of it to allow a neckstrap so I didn't have too go digging for it when I was out with my 4x5.  With practice it also helped me to select which lens to use by holding it closer or further from my eye.  The downside to this filter was that if you held it up to your eye for very long your eye adjusts to the filter and it no longer helps to visualize how the scene will look in B&W.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be pretty narrow, from about 560nm to 580nm.

If you ever happen to be in a place lit by low-pressure sodium lamps, you might have some idea.

Note that it isn't that it is dim, though that might be part of it.

Something can be brightly lit by LPS lamps, and still only have one color.

My dad had a story about a parking lot converting over, and everyone had a hard time finding their car.

They are either light yellow or dark yellow, but no other color. The lines are at 589.0 and 589.6nm.

• Like 1

-- glen

I have one of these, though a newer variant.  Was a given it by a friend, now long deceased, who was the graduate of a West Coast Photography school.  It could be useful in film days, and took some of the guesswork out of the color / value decisions.  My recollection is that he used it more for movie work than still photos.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:24 AM, AJG said:

. . . The downside to this filter was that if you held it up to your eye for very long your eye adjusts to the filter and it no longer helps to visualize how the scene will look in B&W.

Yes - agree.

In the link above, one member comments on the 'flicking between scene and filter' method:

I completed my Cine course in the 1970s, my teacher did not prescribe to this method, but rather encouraged a quick and decisive output from us, with no 'dilly-dallying' (his words).

WW   

• Like 1