NIKON COOLSCAN 5000ED BAD SCAN?

david_day3

Hello All,

I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED scanner I hadn't used for a while. When trying it out just now, it would not work with the SF-210 slide feeder (gave a hardware failure message) and gave a very poor scan with the MA-20 single feed. (see attached photo file)

Has anyone an idea what is the problem please?

Thanks.

David

ScanAntBad Double Image.jpg

David,

What computer and OS are you using?  Also, what type of film are you scanning?  The image kinda looks like you may have used the wrong film setting.  The fact that you were able to get it to scan is pretty good.  More information is needed to give a good reply. 

I have a Nikon Coolscan V ED, don't know how this compares to your 5000ED.  Hadn't used it for years and couldn't find the CD that came with it.  I searched on-line and found a site called VueScan.  I subscribed to some software for my scanner that I've been using for about a year now.  I think I paid a one-time fee of $100 and is good for life.

• Excellent! 1

Hi Marceppy, It's a Dell XPS computer with Windows 10. It was working fine a few months ago, took it out and now not scanning properly. After dissambling and cleaning, it then gave a striped dark and light scan.

The 5000ED wouldn’t work with my Windows 11 Dell unless I bought software like Bill has or more expensive ones https://fixthephoto.com/best-photo-scanning-software.html .  I resolved after several attempts by hooking up to a Windows 7 computer and using the Nikon software but your issue maybe more internal or mechanical.  Assuming that you selected the right film type for the scan.  The image above looks like a double exposure, ghostly, colors way off.  Maybe one of the software versions has a free trial you can test to see if that helps.  If all else fails, there was a person or shop online who can repair them.  

Just an after thought- the image looks so much like a double exposure, just curious if there might be another film stuck in the carrier?  I have accidentally put 2 slides in the carrier and had similar results.

• Like 2

Hardly extinct, you can still buy em new:

https://www.proavdealer.com/nikon-coolscan-v-ls-50-ed-film-scanner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOmsBhCnARIsAGPa5ybnf1SYT3DAUKz9HYNVg1CHCa7mYkugqorjVUScOn4-sAiIGEn0EuUaAr_dEALw_wcB

Now a LeafScan 45 with GPIB? That pup is old but still an amazingly fine scanner. I miss those days, waiting 30 minutes per scan….

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

11 hours ago, digitaldog said:

https://www.proavdealer.com/nikon-coolscan-v-ls-50-ed-film-scanner.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtOmsBhCnARIsAGPa5ybnf1SYT3DAUKz9HYNVg1CHCa7mYkugqorjVUScOn4-sAiIGEn0EuUaAr_dEALw_wcB

Now a LeafScan 45 with GPIB? That pup is old but still an amazingly fine scanner. I miss those days, waiting 30 minutes per scan….

Interesting-guessing that's old stock since Nikon hasn't made them in what, probably nearing 20 years now? At least 15?

I know Nikon's software for Mac was never updated to Intel-in fact the newest version of NS 4 is still a carbon application(can run on OS 9 or OS X). Fortunately it works on 10.6.8, but I've had weird instability issues with 2011-era Macs, may of which will run it natively, most of which can be made to run it. I thought I'd hit the jackpot with my 2011 Mini server, which was the only Quad mini that can run it(and one of the few non-Mac-pro Quads that can run 10.6.8) but NS crashes as soon as I launch it with a scanner connected.

I went hunting for a Leaf 45 out of curiosity, and I'm actually well equipped to run one on either a PC with GPIB(I actually run HPIB equipment at work still, and yes I call it HPIB since everything I use is HP) or on a Mac with SCSI. I found one about 2 hours away listed on FB a year ago, but it might or might not still be available...

Leaf was also avaiable as SCIS (a bit newer) and much easier to hook up to older Macs which is how I ran mine in the day. 

But if I had to buy a such a high quality scanner today, I’d look for an Imacon which is lightening fast in comparision or better, a ScanMate Drum scanner which quality wise is even better. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

14 hours ago, digitaldog said:

Amazing and for only $1339 !! I remember years ago agonizing on how I was ever going to be able to afford the Coolscan 9000. If I remember correctly it was significantly more expensive than the 5000.  In any case, I opted for the Epson V750 flatbed and the Pacific Image Xe(dedicated 35mm) scanners.  I rarely shoot film anymore, but when/if  I do, these do an adequate job.   

Edited by hjoseph7

Got an Epson V750, decent but not in the close to the league with a deadicated film scanner like the Coolscan and even that isn’t in the legaue with a Leaf or Imacon. Amazing too, in early 1990, the first Nikon I had cost $10K in 1990 dollars. 

$1339 isn’t a bad price for the product either. An Epson V850 is a mere $100 less on B&H. 

1 hour ago, digitaldog said:

Leaf was also avaiable as SCIS (a bit newer) and much easier to hook up to older Macs which is how I ran mine in the day. 

But if I had to buy a such a high quality scanner today, I’d look for an Imacon which is lightening fast in comparision or better, a ScanMate Drum scanner which quality wise is even better. 

The one I was looking at actually was SCSI, but there’s either a blanking button plate or GPIB port next to SCSI-I couldn’t tell which. I know it’s big and a pain, but some thing about it is weirdly appealing to me and I do have the computer hardware to make it happen. 

There’s a part of me that wants a drum scanner, but I know that’s even bigger(especially adding in the mounting station) and I understand there’s quite a learning curve with them…

The learning curve with a drum scanner is the mounting with gel (or oil) which is messy but often necessary. Plus the software; some, like those driven by LinoColor or ScanView are great, didn’t like Howtek. Then there is Imacon which is kind of, sort of a drum (but not PMT) and really a great compromise: fast, easy to use, pretty good software. Great for color neg scans. 

1 hour ago, digitaldog said:

The learning curve with a drum scanner is the mounting with gel (or oil) which is messy but often necessary. Plus the software; some, like those driven by LinoColor or ScanView are great, didn’t like Howtek. Then there is Imacon which is kind of, sort of a drum (but not PMT) and really a great compromise: fast, easy to use, pretty good software. Great for color neg scans. 

I've done wet mounting before on my V700(I used 1-Octanol and plastic sheets held down with polyimide tape on the Epson glass tray) and was able to get some beautiful results, but hard as I tried I never managed to get one completely bubble free. I think it made such a big difference on my V700 partially because film flatness with MF in particular is such an issue, even with the BetterScanning holder. I was able to do nearly as good by using the glass tray dry and laying the(heavy) piece of AN glass from my BetterScanning holder on top of it.

Scanning is one of those things I have a love-hate relationship with. For my part, the Coolscan V does great. I wish I had a glass carrier for my 8000, but the last time I looked those sold for nearly as much as I paid for the scanner!(which wasn't cheap-I think I paid around $1K in 2018 or so-I did get 35mm strip, medium format strip, and 35mm mounted slide carriers with it but have only ever scanned MF since the V is so much more convenient for 35mm. I finally hit on a workable combination of removing the top rails from the MF holder and laying the AN glass from my BetterScanning Epson holder on top, but the purpose made glass carrier I know would be better.

Really, I don't need another scanner. After moving a few hundred miles 3 years ago, my V700 is still one of the things I moved to my parents house for storage and have yet to retrieve. There have been a few times I could have used it, but not that often.

Still, though, I would love one of these old high end scanners. I'm kind of hoping this Leaf 45 local to me turns up still available-it's cheap and I do have Besseler carriers to use in it(which I understand it takes).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, call me stupid, stubborn, whatever but a Leafscan 35 is on its way to me.

I have Vuescan in 10.4.11 on a dual 1ghz Quicksilver that has the Apple supplied Adaptec 2930CU card. I've run several scanners off those cards, including the Coolscan II and III and an ancient Sprintscan 35, so it should be fine. I just wish I could track down the Leaf software, although I haven't dug that hard yet.  The computer does dual boot OS X and OS 9-or actually triple boots 10.4, 10.5, and OS 9(10.5 deprecated a LOT of SCSI drivers, including, frustratingly, the 2030CU which, again, Apple supplied as BTO in computers that can officially run 10.5), so can easily run it in OS 9 if that if it plays better.

I had a Canoscan 4000 which did a full 4000dpi but it finally died. So I replaced it with a Super coolscan 9000. The latter didnt; do much ,if any, better than the Canon scanner but at a much higher price. I was able to use its drivers and so on on my old Power MAC 400. I did finish off a huge number of scans, but now the Power Mc hard drive has failed. still the comparisons may be of interest to someone

start with     

Edited by JDMvW