Canon Transistor Pack G ?

mike_sowsun

Is anyone familiar with the Canon Transistor Pack G? I recently acquired a Canon 577G flash, but it came without the Transistor Pack G external battery pack. The power connection has 3 pins and I am thinking the later external battery packs (CP-E2, CP-E3, etc) could also be used if I were to change the connector. Is the TP “G” 300 volts input like the later packs?

3A0804F1-4AB2-41EC-8E08-FE487F5DDD34.jpeg

56C5EEBD-F8B9-40E6-9D60-8B8ACAFB9AE8.jpeg

30AD6014-C267-43C3-BC25-11C9E79D90DD.jpeg

451DBF42-24EB-4F1A-9E98-C1FE11AA65DE.jpeg

Edited by mike_sowsun

I agree. The transistor pack (basically a rechargeable battery pack) is not available and any that you could buy used I am sure would not be functioning. I have a full working 577G kit but not with the battery pack - I use the internal 6 x AA battery cartridge. I agree that the CP-E2 (etc) would deliver too high a current, even if you could adapt it to fit. Remember, the A-series flash era flashguns are at least two generations removed from the EX era. I think it would probably blow up the 577G circuits. Remember, the internal electrics are 40 years' old as well!

The transistor pack takes 6 "C" cells - it is NOT a rechargeable pack.  I use it with rechargeable batteries. but non- rechargeable batteries are fine, too.  You should have no trouble finding one.  Look for a cheap 577G with the pack and cross your fingers that the pack is OK, or as above, see if you can get just the pack.  If the contacts are corroded, they are very easy to clean. 

The Transistor Pack E and the Compact Pack E, CP-E2, CP-E, and CP-E4 all share the same 300v connection plug, and are all interchangeable.  

Canon recommends only the Transistor Pack E for the 480EG, and I assume it is because of the large C size battery magazine. (the others uses 6 AA or 8AA)

3ACCFFB3-FFDB-4F00-AA72-70246FB342E2.jpeg

Edited by mike_sowsun

Mike, do you already have the CP-E2, CP-E3, etc?  If not, what you are contemplating seems like way more trouble than it's worth and somewhat risky.  That, and do you already have the correct plug to the 577G?  If not, that's going to be harder to find that than the pack WITH the plug.  Ok, IF you do get it all hooked up with the other packs, depending on the camera you will be using, be sure to check the trigger voltage.  Otherwise, you could fry your camera.

Edited by chuck909

I actually did buy a Transistor Pack G on eBay but it will take another week or so to arrive. I guess I’ll have to be patient…. 🙂

The 533G, 577G, and Transistor Pack G all use a 300v connector that is different from all the later 300v connectors, but I don’t why Canon changed it. 

Edited by mike_sowsun