What's the reason to dilute Dektol?

I've never done this, but I would expect faster times and more contrast. If you're using developing time as a way to control contrast and density then it would be harder to control.  Also, a stock solution will keep longer than a diluted solution if it is protected from exposure to air, but a stock solution in a tray would exhaust quickly  and thus be more expensive to use.

I use replenished Xtol stock solution for all films. Replenishment rate for me is 90ml per film which gives a cost of about 30 cents per film. This batch of Xtol was first started in November 2021 and is still working perfectly. I find developing time for medium contrast with nearly all films is 11 minutes 15 seconds at 20 Celcius.

Manufactures of films, papers, and chemicals have had nearly 200 years to perfect their art and science. In this era of the digital image, don’t expect big strides in chemical photo techniques.

That being said, the technique of chemical manipulation to alter results was routinely practiced. Mosly out of desperation due to exposure errors and darkroom misstates.

Alteration of the dilution of the developer induces slight changes in contrast. A little more contrast can be had if Dektol is diluted 1:1 instead of the recommended 2:1. Developing in the stock solution straight, squeezes out a tiny bit more.

The “normal” is 2:1 @ 68° 90 seconds. This delivers maximum dynamic range. This time / temperature recommendation is not engraved in stone. We needed to alter time in solution based on temperature and declining developer activity due to the number of prints that have been “souped”.

A 2:1 Dektal affords time for the developer to percolate into the emulsion and do its thing. Too strong / too weak --  upsets the fresh developer in -- spent developer out cycle.  

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to go for 90 seconds, somewhat independent of temperature, though hopefully not a lot different from 68F/20C.

That is, I make test prints and adjust exposure for 90 seconds.

Less diluted should decrease the time, but getting accurate time will be harder.

Well, the tradition is that print development goes to completion.  A little more time won't make so much difference, as it does for film.

The contact printing papers I remember, like Velox, are 1:00 in Dektol. 

If you are really in a hurry, I would get a stabilization processor and chemistry.

-- glen