Focusing Screen for M645 Pro - Recommendations?

Monochromatic

Just purchased a used M645 Pro Body. Apparently, it doesn't include the focusing screen so I'm on the hunt for one. I'll be mounting a AE Prism Finder (FE401) along with a 80mm 1.9 lens. Given the limited depth at f/1.9, I know I'll need to focus carefully. I read split screen would be good at f/1.9 but I'm not a fan of centered compositions so wondering if another type might suffice (such as a grid, as that would be what I'd prefer).

What do you recommend?

Edited by Monochromatic

• 2 weeks later...

These are the focusing screens for the Mamiya 645. As you can see it depends on what type of photography you plan to do with the camera. I have #1 , #3 and #5 screens. You can also get the 'Bright Screen" that is available from other manufacturers. For architecture the #5 screen does come in handy. In general I prefer using  focusing screen #1 rather than #5 especially shooting in bright sunlight. I have not tried the other screens, but the ones I have are all kind of dim. You sometimes have to set the lens to it's widdest aperture inable to focus properly.  

image.png.9c613abeb8cad9c8f66fd0889bf80d70.png

Confusing answer Joseph. I think the screens displayed in your picture are for the M645, the OP has a later Pro model (he also mentions the FE401 prism). What confuses me most is what you say about using the widest aperture to focus correctly when all these cameras work with the lens wide open. Only when manual focus lenses are used with AF bodies you need to do that or someone wants to check the depth of field in older bodies.

35 minutes ago, Giovanni Cappai said:

Confusing answer Joseph. I think the screens displayed in your picture are for the M645, the OP has a later Pro model (he also mentions the FE401 prism). What confuses me most is what you say about using the widest aperture to focus correctly when all these cameras work with the lens wide open. Only when manual focus lenses are used with AF bodies you need to do that or someone wants to check the depth of field in older bodies.

My mistake, blame my old eyes. I thought the OP was talking about the M645 not the PRO version.  Maybe it was because I have not used the camera for a while, but yesterday my viewfinder looked pretty Dim. The lens on the camera was the 70mm f2.8 Leaf Shutter. Yesterday changing the aperture from f22 to f2.8 seemed to ameliorate things, but this morning I checked again and changing the aperture and/or the shutter speed does not affect anything. Using the Waist Level Ffinder does help in that the viefinder look a little brighter... 

Not sure, but most AF cameras use the All Matte focusing screens which would be the equivalent of focusing screen #2 and #3 used on the Mamiya M645. Don't quote me on that because I know very little about the Mamiya 645 AF cameras.