Wescott Apollo softbox problem resolved

hjoseph7

Recently I purchased a Wescott Apollo Strip Softbox because it is not only very portable and easy to set-up/break-down, it also allows me to use the softbox with different brands of strobes without having to purchase different Speedrings. I have 3 brands of strobes(Photogenic, Alienbees and Norman) which require different speedrings for each. The Apollo softboxes allow you to connect the softbox to the strobe via a regular Umbrella Clamp. Actually, these softboxes are umbrellas that have been shaped to look like softboxes. However, instead of the strobe being on the outside the softbox, you actually have to place the strobe inside the softbox just as you would when using an umbrella.

I didn't think much about this placement when I purchased an Apollo Orb which is a 43" Octagon softbox last year. That's because it is HUGE and covers a lot of space. However when i tried setting up the Apollo Strip which is not as big 12"x36" ,  I noticed that I could not tilt it up, or down lke you can with a regular stripbox that has a speedring.

The problem is that the stand that the strobe is attached to gets in the way preventing any significant tilt movement. I was about to return the Strip Box and get something else, when I ran into this item:  KUPO 5/8 Offset Arm  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/863533-REG/Kupo_kg006512_Baby_5_8_16_mm.html   This Offset Arm let's me place the strobe with attached StripBox, further away from the stand which allows the Tilt movement.

Now I can tilt up or down to my hearts desire.  I tried it with my Apollo Orb(43" Oct box) and it works fine with that too ! The Offset Arm is made of heavy duty steel and looks like it can handle quite a load,  but I wouldn't push things too far by overloading.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work if you wand to turn the softbox Horizontally like you can with a speedring, oh well.  At first I was thinking about getting one of those  Boom Arms, but they are kind of expensive and require weights at the end...  

Good luck with your set up--I hope  you have a very heavy light stand to hold this or have counterweights that you use to weight the base of the stand with.  Since I did a catalog shoot many years ago with some young children running around in my studio I have had 10# lead shot bags wrapped around the base of my light stands to lower the center of gravity. These also make it much harder for me to knock them over when I'm rushing around on my own.