Canon FD Photo of the Month: November 2023

danac

Which software program are you using? The image is sharp, fine grained and the contrast nice even in the lowest zones. That's a lot to ask of a 35mm Tri-X negative when pushed so hard.

A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

My 2 cents worth, I would vote no.

At the horizon you have a razor sharp roof peak and digital mush all in one area.  Certain aspects of the foreground have a pasted-on look to them.

It's good that they used a capital 'A' .... artificial.

Great low light work though Jim.  Kudos.

I'll answer both of your questions here.  The AI software is called "Upscayl" and you can download it free off their website (upscayl.org).  It's legit, and is for Linux, Mac and Windows.  A buddy of mine who is a techie recommended it.  I'm still learning it.  While I've mostly been using it on my digital work, I figured I'd try it with film too.  While visiting family for Thanksgiving, I took a few rolls of Tri-X and my F-1, and walked through downtown Howell, Michigan after sunset.  I was asking a lot of Tri-X in such dim light conditions, but with the thorium FD 35/2.0, I figured I'd get a few winners.  The processed film is what I expected. contrasty and grainy (exactly what I wanted).  Out of curiosities sake, I ran the pics through the Upscayl software.  It magically removed all the grain and really cleaned things up.  I was amazed.  But the clean image came at a price, the scans have a plastic look. 

I need to run more negs through the software.  Part of me is impressed with the results, the other part of me says it's cheating.  But then again, I tell myself that all that matters is the final image.  Maybe.  

I'll post more later. 

• Like 2

One more.  Same as the others.  F-1 with FD 35/2.0.  Tri-X at 1600 wide-open.  in XTOL.  AI "improved."

Addendum:  I have gained respect for the Thorium, concave front-element FD 35/2.0.  Every shot I took was at wide-open and is sharp.  An amazing optic.

spacer.png

Edited by jim_bielecki1
  • Like 3

Definitely the last one.  Same camera, lens, and film.  AI-modified as before.  I guess I'm going to view this new software as another tool that can be used to enhance/save a difficult picture.  No doubt I wouldn't be showing you several of these pics if it wasn't for Upscayl.  

And again, a lot of praise for he thorium, concave FD 35/2.0.  A stellar lens.  Everything you see here was shot wide-open.

spacer.png

Edited by jim_bielecki1
  • Like 3