Seeking help with Manfrotto MT057C4 tripod

chairboy

Years ago purchased a Manfrotto MT057C4 tripod to be able to shoot above crowds. It worked brilliantly! These days my subjects are more often low to the ground. The tripod’s legs spread *very* low— that’s not a problem. But the center column is 15” tall, which defeats the purpose of low-spreading legs. I’m confounded that I can’t seem to find a short column to replace the 15 inch. 
Other relevant info: the rig I am supporting is heavy and unwieldy— I shoot stereoscopic medium format with a beamsplitter mounted on a geared head. I do have other tripods, but the Manfrotto is the best one for the task.

Bob

I'm not familiar with this specific model, but many other Manfrotto tripods allow attaching a tripod to the bottom of the center column.  It wouldn't be the easiest thing to carry if you did this but it would get you the lower height that you need.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, chairboy said:

Years ago purchased a Manfrotto MT057C4 tripod to be able to shoot above crowds. It worked brilliantly! These days my subjects are more often low to the ground. The tripod’s legs spread *very* low— that’s not a problem. But the center column is 15” tall, which defeats the purpose of low-spreading legs. I’m confounded that I can’t seem to find a short column to replace the 15 inch.

Check with your supplier if Manfrotto 055XSCC will fit: I am not sure of the compatibility.  It is the the "Short Centre Column" for 055 Series, pretty sure it is shorter than 15".

I had a look at the specs for your rig - it notes the minimum height is 230mm (9"), from what you wrote I expect that's with the base of the existing centre column touching the ground - so you'd have about 8" of that existing centre column above the tripod top sleeve. - so it seems you really want to get very low to the ground.

One other option would be to buy another (i.e. as a spare part) centre column for the MT057 and cut it to length. Or even cut the one you have if you never want the maximum height.

Another (lateral) thought - buy a column top plate and set it on a thick, dense piece of hard wood - e.g. 8"x8"x3" and mount the geared head on the top of that. I have a square of hardwood for my "portable" metal working vice, it it quite stable, but also heavy - nothing like the (lack of) weight in a carbon fibre tripod.          

WW 

3 hours ago, c_watson1 said:

Though I've got one, there's apparently no part# on a hard plastic bit that fit into the top of the 055 and others that allow a direct mount of a head minus column. Anyone recall these?

Spot on. You triggered my memory. There's a metal one also. A mate of mine had one,  I forgot all about it. Found this with a quick search - (how's your German?)

https://www.stativfreak.de/GALERIES/BASTEL/UMBAU-WBJL-055X/index.htm

The bit in question came on the bottom end of my Manfrotto CLB's center column. It attached via a click button. Detach it, yank out the center column, and put it where the column once was, then attach a head to the standard threaded bolt on top. Suspect Manfrotto may sell these separately. Worth casting around for. Might be better, likely cheaper, than the over-engineered German solution.

Edited by c_watson1
  • Like 1