Olympus Repair / Bad Camera Bag / Backup body?

Ken Katz

Repair / Bad camera Bag:

I travel with a lightweight OMD system (E-M5iii / 12-40mm f2.8 / 40-150 f5.6 / 1 or 2 fast primes as needed.   Transport using a padded Temba bag and usually transfer the equipment to a Domke satchel, which is more discreet and comfortable to use, though offers less protection than the Temba.  Last month I arrived in Ljubljana, Slovenia (from EWR) and transferred the OMD system to the Domke.  Before one image was taken, the Domke dropped about 1.5 feet to the floor.  The camera was completely inoperative and entirely useless for the next 12 days.  I expect that if the camera was still in the Temba bag, it likely would have survived.  Also speculate that my ancient Canon DSLR's would have survived that fall.  Shipping the Camera to Olympus NJ for repair cost $250, whereby they replaced the sensor (I assume it was the IBIS that failed) and was shipped back to me in 2 days.

Backup body:

I guess the moral of this story is that (a) need to retire the Domke and live with a better padded bag, and (b) buy and carry a backup body for these types of trips.   I used to carry a backup but in the effort to minimize weight, stopped that practice.  I was thinking of getting a EM-10 mk ii or mk iii, but I am open to suggestions.  In a pinch an EPL camera could work, but the 12-40mm may be too much to handle comfortably.  Need good IBIS and a camera with the 16mp Sony sensor.

New Bag:

Got a room full of old camera bags but most for a Canon DSLR and a few "L" lenses.  The smaller Temba bag (DNA 9) or a Thinktank Mirrorless Mover may work.  Nylon bags, so I would miss the Domke canvas, but don't want another big trip impacted like I had visiting Slovenia and Croatia last month.  

Edited by Ken Katz

I slipped a 1/2" thick piece of closed cell foam--the sort that pads all kinds of product boxes--cut to fit the bottoms of my ThinkTank Retrospective bags. Thinner, say 1/4", can also work. Think the small size and reduced mass of MILCs can fool us into thinking they're less damage-prone from drops. I bought a small Pelican case for my tiny Ricoh GRII that protects it from sloshing around in a small Retrospective 3 bag.

Each of my camera bags has a 'padded' removeable base 'stiffener', fitting across the entire base of the bag. I use a folded section of bubble wrap (again, about 1/2" thick) beneath this to cushion any blows the bag may receive from beneath. When travelling, I also rest the bag on my knees / lap, to ensure it does not continue in motion should the bus stop suddenly. 

9 hours ago, Tony Parsons said:

Each of my camera bags has a 'padded' removeable base 'stiffener', fitting across the entire base of the bag. I use a folded section of bubble wrap (again, about 1/2" thick) beneath this to cushion any blows the bag may receive from beneath. When travelling, I also rest the bag on my knees / lap, to ensure it does not continue in motion should the bus stop suddenly. 

When I have my camera bag in my car it rides in the back seat with the shoulder strap over the headrest so it can't go airborne in the event of a quick stop.  With my heavy 4x5 I fasten the seat belt over the custom bag that I made for it. 

7 hours ago, AJG said:

When I have my camera bag in my car it rides in the back seat with the shoulder strap over the headrest so it can't go airborne in the event of a quick stop.  With my heavy 4x5 I fasten the seat belt over the custom bag that I made for it. 

This is excellent advice - however, not being a motorist, I find my method suits me, even when being driven by someone else. As I have mobility issues, I always occupy the front passenger seat in a car, and the BSD would not appreciate her personal space being encroached upon by a camera bag !!  😀

Thanks for the suggestions to look at the Thinktank Retrospective line, and to also consider beefing up the padding in my Domke.  I have already added a Domke wrap to line the bottom and lower sides of the bag, and added padded inserts to the sides and bottom.  Still don't know if the minimally padded Domke bags are still appropriate for IBIS enabled cameras and IS lenses, but I do like their esthetics. 

I am usually careful with cameras, and have never previously damaged a camera body in over 50 years of using interchangeable lens cameras, but as we all know, sh*t does happen sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon this is just bad luck and I agree that you could add padding to the bottom of the Domke. While you may feel that the OM was fragile, a controlled experiment would be required to see whether another camera would not have been impacted just the same. There is always the tradeoff between padding and extra bulk and weight. Domkes are wonderfully light and flexible and can be packed with stuff.

If you like messenger bags then the Tenba you mention or the mirrorless mover would work. Personally, I dislike messenger bags, the large flap just gets in the way. Also I usually carry a camera +4-5 lenses and 3-compartment bags are not so good to work out of because you have to stack lenses. I have the Domke F2 and F6 and I seem to have settled on them. They don't give me any pleasant feelings about their looks, but they are splendidly functional. The mirrorless mover is a bit too "designed" for my taste (fancy color scheme and logo). I always like Tenba and Lowepro since their bags are usually low key and nicely priced. Bags are such a nightmare. I liked my Billingham Hadley Pro, but it is 3-compartment and way too deep and big for m43.

Perhaps you could pick up an EPL7 or even better an EP7 on your travels.

Edited by Robin Smith
Robin Smith

If you want a suggestion for a back-up body, just get another E-M5 III. My philosophy is that if you are a serious photographer, which you are, then you ought to have matching bodies.

When I upgraded my kit, I could have bought one OM-1 to go with my E-M1 II. Or, I could have bought a pair of E-M1 III's (one new, one used). I did the latter.

Just finishing up adding "armor" to the inside of the Domke satchel with the help of Tacky Glue to build large enough padded walls from the innards of old camera bags.  I like the form of a satchel / messenger bag but agree, a more conventual camera bag, like a Domke F6 is easier to work out of if you have many lenses (though I don't like needing to deal with 2 of those steel clasps).  The large flap of the Domke F-803 works for me since it will securely keep in place without engaging the clasp.  Most Temba bags allow you access through a zipper on the top without unclasping the flap.  Thin profile satchels need to be left on the ground since they fall over easily (my own advise I did not heed back in September).

I almost pulled the trigger on a refurbished EM-10iii for $300 from OM, but hesitated.  Another EM-5iii would work but $600+ used is a significantly more than I want to spend an identical camera that will likely get little use, since I would not carry both around given the weight and my deteriorated vertebra. 

Thanks for your comments.  I have time to ponder these issues.

Edited by Ken Katz