steps

marc_rochkind

It feels like my eye wants to be drawn to the scene framed by the stairs, though the foreground in itself is also captivating. I might look for a way to give both foreground and background the attention they deserve. I think the presence of the framed landscape, by being accented in some way (which could mean adjustments to foreground or other tweaks) could play with the fence and stairs nicely in providing both a sense of man-made home and the environment it resides in or at least peeks into. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

11 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

Wayne, is it the title that throwing you off? If so, that was just something I typed in the field. None of my photos have titles. (If I could edit my post, I would change the title to "untitled".)

The title did throw me off, or distracted me to provoke my reply. Having your comment in mind, I struggle to find what the photo is about.

Others' comments I find rather far-fetched speculation, which is OK, I guess, if that's your thing.

The framed area is the least interesting part of the image, the shapes bear no relation to one another, and the textures are random with no sensuality.

But if I don't get it, maybe it's just me.

I like the contrast between the wooden structures imparting a sense of chaos, confusion, maybe danger against the serenity of the ocean scene through the frame. I like the strong texture in the wooden structures as well. I think the steps go a very long way in giving order to the image by drawing us to the ocean scene through the frame. Serenity lies just beyond the chaos! Very good.

• 5 weeks later...

I am initially drawn to the water and sky that is framed by the railing and window frame.  I would prefer the colour rather than black and white version, which I feel would bring the scene more to life.  What strikes me most is the juxtaposition between the dilapidation of what appears to me to be an abandoned building, which evokes a feeling of desolation/depression, and the beach/ocean scene, which symbolizes, for me, life, oxygen, nature and sense of order.  From a technical point of view, I like the frame within a frame.  On the other hand, the scene appears to be very busy and lacking in focus/contrast (be it light, clarity, colour or what have you), so that my eye wanders to various elements of the photo and it is hard to pick out the central theme/story/subject(s).  Still, there is something compelling and melancholic about the scene for me. 

I like this. I agree there's a lot going on here... but there are so many layers here that the texture they provide, IMO, do more to help the shot rather than hurting it. Mike has a good point, this could use something to make it a little "punchier", as everthing does seem to get a wee bit muddled by the nature of the tones here. I'd be interested to see this in color.    

Edited by Ricochetrider