Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Z mount

Edwin Barkdoll

I just received a Nikkor 105 Z mount. I haven't used it much yet – hurricane Lee blowing through today – but far so good. One thing I am a little disappointed and puzzled by is Nikon's removing the physical switch that selects VR ON/OFF/SPORT modes, requiring one to go into the camera's menu to change the VR mode.

My habit is to turn off VR when doing a focus stack so that there are no small movements between images. Perhaps this is unnecessary – I've read conflicting articles about VR on a tripod, but not much about focus stacking. Anyway, I prefer the simplicity of a switch on the lens rather than in a menu.

I don't think the L-fn button can be programmed to switch modes, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Has anyone who uses this lens found a work-around?

Test

Why turn it off in the first place? Nikon claims VR in lenses can detect the use of tripod and panning on F mount cameras?

I have it constantly turned on on my Z6ii and I haven't seen results that would indicate I shouldn't. It would be odd if the Z system is less advanced than F.

Any Nikon Z specific data that show evidence of situations it should be turned off?

Niels

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that every iteration of VR is different. Manuals of earlier VR lenses explicitly said VR should be turned off for tripod use, and the advice spread like general wisdom, but it seems this has not been an issue with newer lenses. If the manual doesn't say otherwise, I'd leave it on, and turn it off only if it causes problems.

I guess what you can do is do some test shots to see if VR causes any problems in the conditions that you're shooting. I personally turn VR OFF when working with a tripod. With Z cameras, I do it from the i menu (if it is a Z mount lens), or from the lens if it's an F-mount lens.

Edited by ilkka_nissila