In Praise of the Vivitar

I recently acquired a tidy copy of an interesting lens, the Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f/2.8 VMC Auto Variable Focusing lens, circa 1975. While it's not a particularly expensive lens, it seems to have developed something of a cult following, and it's certainly a rare item down here in New Zealand. I've not seen one come up for sale in the past decade, so either very few found their way down here, or the current owners are hanging on to them, something I can well understand. The lens has an unusual appearance, and it's very heavy, being constructed mainly from metal with lots of large glass elements. It has been remarked that the lens weighs about as much as a Nikon F3 with standard lens, and that seems about right.

Built mainly of metal to very high standards by Kino Precision, mechanically the lens is a delight, with buttery smooth movements of both focus and zoom and a very precise clicked aperture adjustment. Just hefting the lens tells one that this is a quality instrument. Here are a couple of images of the lens.

Main.jpg.a0280113d9c4ed03c5d12a135e38b575.jpg

Lens.jpg.81e936cc98404a41e993eabede96ae7a.jpg

This is a very complex design that involved many technical calibrations during manufacture, consisting as it does of 12 elements in 9 groups, mounted in five concentric sleeves that were moved by a series of nested cams. This apparently resulted in performance variations among individual lenses, possibly the cause of mixed reviews of the lens that persist right up to the present. With a 72mm diameter of the front barrel, there's a lot of glass in there. Right from the start, the lens was a radical departure from contemporary zoom lenses, in that it is a variable focus design that requires refocusing each time the focal length is adjusted. This apparently creates the potential for much better optical performance when compared to a conventional zoom formula. The designer, Ellis Betensky of Opcon Associates of Stanford, was associated with NASA and had access to the fledgling computers, and he was able to create radical new lens designs. Ponder and Best, the company that owned the Vivitar brand, had presented him with a list of six requirements:

(1) A focal length range from 35 to 85mm.

(2) Close focusing capability.

(3) An f2.8 maximum aperture, so the lens could be used in place of a normal lens in low light areas.

(4) Length under 4 inches.

(5) Weight under 30 ounces.

(6) Contrast and resolution equal to or superior to comparable lenses.

(7) Smooth but rugged mechanical operation.

(8) Multi-coating.[4]

(Thanks to CameraWiki for much of the above information)

I guess one would have to say he pretty much succeeded. Here's a copy of the original Vivitar full-page advert:

Vivitarad.jpg.a5618d8faf4db44d27739a74900bc4ff.jpg

My personal observations. It's certainly a heavy lens to use, with the lens wearing the camera rather than vice versa. At f/2.8 the lens is definitely in the "arty" realm with poor resolution, but with wonderful bokeh and "glow" that I find delightful for some situations and subjects. With f/2.8 available throughout the focal lengths, some interesting effects can be achieved. Here's is an example.

Camelliafin.jpg.4da280eac7c471a89dc3b652d9cfad71.jpg

Stopped down past f/3.5 things change radically, and from around f/4 to f/16 the lens becomes one of the sharpest I've used, with very little in the way of distortion, and creating an acutance that gives images a real "pop". With a 72mm front element, flare can be a problem when pointed into bright light, but this is hardly unusual. The elements are very well coated, which must help matters. With it's precise adjustments and the bright image it creates in the viewfinder, I'm finding the Vivitar a real pleasure to use. Here is a selection of images shot on a Nikon F2, using either Arista EDU Ultra 100 developed in Adox Fx-39II or Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro.

Abstract #51

Abstract51copy.jpg.e0b215d6f3a46bf669778719e57fd339.jpg

Colonial Shadows

ColonialShadowscopy2.jpg.ef4af68e91fb11c06859679b503a10f9.jpg

Power

Powercopy.jpg.52eba4c555da4e39ba3e422506cb138e.jpg

Abstract #52

Abstract52copy.jpg.72126630317d9fd7adbfe84397545bed.jpg

Floral

Floralcopy.jpg.89833ad90d9aff536ccfc9350fe5a6bf.jpg

Rolls

Rolls2copy.jpg.492f8e263a595a5922f25bee6d70d69b.jpg

Searching

Searchingcopy.jpg.c071ebad1d8dd5be61bd40433be89f05.jpg

Street

Streetcopy.jpg.a7cf77d456eb2899803e542478cc8196.jpg

I hope you find some images to like!

• Like 7

Nice writeup and great images, Rick.  I owned one of these years ago but was less than happy with the images.  At the time, I had given up film and was shooting exclusively with my Pentax K10D DSLR using the built-in manual focus assist.  I now wonder if I would have been happier using it on a film camera, such as my Pentax LX, that had a better viewfinder?

At the time, I also owned the Tamron SP 35-80 which gave terrific images on my K10D so I eventually ditched the Vivitar.  However, in hindsight, I wish I had hung onto it.  

I am a big fan of Vivitar lenses and have mist of them from the early 1970s to the start of the AF age.  If I am not mistaken, I have two of the 35-85 lenses.  The late Roger Hicks was a fan of this lens and thought it to be capable of professional use if in good condition.  Before the AF era, varifocal zoom lenses were not very popular.  Two of mine that cone to mind are the 35-100mm f/2.8 Konica Hexanon and the Vivitar 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 Auto Variable Focusing.  The Konica lens is large and very heavy.  My example was inherited.  The varifocal design was used to allow the constant aperture.  It was a very good lens for its time but few were made and they were very expensive.  I have examples of the Vivitar 28-85 in many mounts.  It is suitable for most subjects with the possible exception of exacting architectural work.  I have read that this model was in contention for being a Series 1 lens but was passed over for the 28-90 f/2.8-3.5.  I have many of those too.  The 28-85 was also sold as a Kiron model.  Only the cosmetics are different.

As usual, Rick has not only shown the technical details of a piece of equipment but has illustrated them with his very nice compositions.  I always look forward to seeing his photos.  My latest Vivitar Series 1 purchase was a 200mm f/3 in Konica AR mount.  Once the AF era took hold, varifocals became more common because AF systems could adjust for both the varifocal designs and the variable aperture feature.

Jeff Adler

Good shots - Rick. Definitely highlights what the old Vivitars are capable of. I had a 28-85 Series 1 which did amazingly well, and still have a couple of Vivitar lenses for my T90 and Spotmatic. I've occasionally used them on my digital mirrorless very satisfactorily just as long as the subjects aren't too contrasty where CA comes into play.

• 1 month later...