Bronica ETR lens

Rick Helmke

Evening everyone,

I did some horse trading today and brought a Bronica ETR home. When that format came out a coworker at the newspaper bought the ETR and a couple lenses. I was astonished at the sharpness of those lenses and have wanted one ever since. It wasn’t a high priority though and was pricey so I never got around to it. As I have been working more in b&w film I found this one and got it. It came with a 110mm macro lens and a prism finder but no meter. It has a battery and I’m assuming there is an electronic shutter as I don’t see anything else that requires a battery.. I want to get a grip for it but also a good 75 mm lens, something a bit wide angle for street work and a good portrait lens. I’ll stick to Bronica glass as I have no idea what aftermarket may be available and any good. Suggestions for a portrait lens? Thanks.

Rick H.

Although I no longer own any Bronica gear, I did have an ETRSi AEii and AEiii and several lenses. If you don't already have it, get the user manual at butkus.org. I found all the lenses performed well, but the finders weren't particularly friendly to eyeglasses wearers. The Bronica grip worked well as I recall. I've attached a copy of the system chart from my old files. I mostly used the 75 and 150 multicoated. For a brief time I had one of the zooms, but it proved too unwieldy for my taste and I sold it to a student of mine. Enjoy yours!

image.jpeg.048d7466604c95e613037911561f86e2.jpeg

Congratulations.  Your 110mm should do fine as a portrait lens, though some people prefer the 105 or 150.  Wide angle, either of the 40 or 50mm lenses would work. I have a preference for the 50mm.  I have 2 ETRS-i's and a couple of shabby ETR backup bodies.  The winder is a must and will enhance the camera's ergonomics.  I have both of the zooms - but rarely use them because of the weight. They are not a good buy, and used to command exorbitant prices (though I haven't followed them over the last few years). The zooms came in different iterations (I believe that some of the earlier zoom iterations were done by Schneider, though cannot vouchsafe for that), as did the other lenses.  When Tamron purchased Bronica, on the founder's demise, they re-computed the lens range - some say they are better optically - I've not noticed a discernable difference.  When they put out the early S, S2, and S2a, there were Nikkor lenses available.  The S series may interest classic camera enthusiasts, but they were poorly designed and engineered, had real problems with the film transport arrangement, and needed many spares for their abundant problems. Tamron relied heavily on MTF data in recomputing the lenses - you may be advised to seek them out.

It's an electronic shutter - a seiko, so it's flawless.  But will, in the absence of battery power, default to 1/500s.

Get a waist finder and a light meter; it's a better experience than the prism viewfinders.  The film backs were expensive and need some caution in buying.  It's good to have two or three, with dark slides. The locating pins are sheathed in a plastic tube which is prone to breaking.  What else?  If you're interested in B&W, get a yellow filter.  I would endorse the suggestion of getting a manual from butkus.  There's a wealth of info about them on the net.  Stick with bronica lenses.  Good buy.  Enjoy - let us see some photos soon. 

They sound like a bazooka going off - forewarn your subjects.

Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Forget a WLF. They're borderline useless on 645 cameras for the awkwardness of shifting from landscape to portrait orientation. A light meter and a plain prism finder will do you. Grips are really nice since the ergonomics are horrid without one. Go for a manual version.

Above all, I'd try to nail down a competent service source before you buy. Otherwise, who needs a pricey doorstop?

Arthur you’re right, it’s a 100, not a 110, don’t know how I made that mistake. I do want to find a grip and have decided to get a 75 and 150. I may even do a little b&w portraiture with it. I’m putting 120 film in a 220 back but will pick up a 120 back shortly. KEH has everything but the grip in stock and the prices aren’t bad. This should be fun.

Rick H.

• 3 weeks later...

Have owned all the Etr variations and stuck with the Etrs (more metal) . Have both the wlf and ae-ii finder , use them both and enjoy

which ever one is on the camera at the time . The grip is pretty much a necessity when hand holding . Strangely the only lens I knew I had

to have in the beginning was the 150 , in 8 years I never took a single picture with it , it went with one of the camera sales . Get backs with

the double tabs on top . Enjoy it , Peter