R.I.P. Robbie Robertson - some pics from Scorcese's The Last Waltz

Saw The Band only once, at a 1975 stadium show in Pittsburgh.

Some forgettable opener, then Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, The Band, and Eric Clapton (supporting 461 Ocean Boulevard)- under a full moon. Of all, The Band was by far the best although Utopia was very good too. The Band’s material was super familiar- their set was like every song, everybody knew. 

There are plenty of moments in The Last Waltz that are jaw droppingly cool- like when Van Morrison dances off the stage and throws down his mic, Clapton playing with Muddy Waters, etc etc etc Time for a rewatch! 

Dylan’s “Bootleg Series” record of his first ever electric tour in England has some tense moments where the crowd is just mad as hell, and at one point Dylan turns back to the band (Robbie Robertson, et al) and tells them to “Play fucking loud”. 

Edit:

If anyone has not seen Elliot Landy’s photos of The Band, they are totally worth a look. Check his Dylan pix as well- at least a couple will be familiar. 

Elliot Landy’s Gallery: The Band

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ricochetrider said:

Saw The Band only once, at a 1975 stadium show in Pittsburgh.

Was lucky enough to see them a bunch. Long hitchhike from college in Binghamton up to Buffalo for the tour you saw with Clapton. Quite a show. A couple of times with Dylan. Watkins Glen with the Dead and the Allman Bros. A good friend in ‘78 had an extra ticket to The Last Waltz and begged me to go. It was Thanksgiving and I had plans to visit family back east and stuck with those plans. I honestly don’t have many regrets in life, but that’s one of them. At least Scorsese preserved it for me. When you watch it again, tell me Scorsese didn’t have Robertson and Rick Danko playing Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro! 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Thanks for the photos and the links!

Living in the UK, it wasn't until my mid-teens (ca. 1969) that I started to hear about - but not really listen to - US bands like The Band, The Byrds and The Dead. And US 'Folk Singer' Bob Dylan. At that time - and a couple of years earlier - my expanding musical interests were focused on UK bands. Those that weren't interested in the 'Top 10 singles chart' or performing on BBC's "Top of the Pops".

I did catch the odd US song. Either via my Easy Rider soundtrack LP or via the legendary BBC DJ John Peel who was the first to play tracks from 'progressive/alternatieve bands'. 

It's been really interesting to look up The Band (and Robbie Robertson) on Wikipedia. I'd never realized just how much The Band had influenced so many other (famous) musicians/bands. Even one of my favorite UK bands of that era (and afterwards) Pink Floyd. Member Roger Waters called the album Music from Big Pink "the second most influential record in the history of rock and roll", after the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and said that the  album  "affected Pink Floyd deeply, deeply, deeply". Eric Clapton said that the album prompted him to leave the then 'superband' Cream. 

Of course, I've heard The Band's  well-known 'hits' (The Weight, Old Dixie, Cripple Creek). But I want to get hold of the album Music from Big Pink. And also watch the Scorcese movie. Although I've always enjoyed listening to their 'hits', I realize that I've seriously underestimated their musicianship and their influence.

PS, this is not the first time it's happened, but I still find it weird that I 'discover' (for me) new music when a band member dies. Better late than never, I guess.

• Like 1

OT but - if Wikipedia  is correct - The Band prompted a number of bands and musicians to get more in touch with their 'roots'.

FWIW, the (then) seemingly unlikely collabaration between Alison Krauss (Americana/Bluegrass singer) and ex-Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant on their 2007 album 'Raising Sand' made me a big fan fan of 'Americana' and 'Bluegrass'' music! The first (audio) clip (Your Long Journey) below is probably my favorite track from the 2007 album.

It's wonderful to see that their collaboration has continued into 2022 with a new CD and global tours. The second clip is from their 2022 tour. It shows their continuing musical synergy. Which raises the questions: how did 'rock singer' Robert Plant become interested in Americana/Bluegrass music? And how did country/bluegrass singer Alison Krauss become interested in collaborating with an 'ex-rock singer'? Producer T-Bone Burnett is credited as bringing these two together for 'Raising Sands'. But something obviously clicked and they've regularly performed together. They produced new CD in 2021 and are touring globally together.

Something, somewhere in this collaboration resonates (for me) with The Band and their influence on 'roots' music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_rArV84iY

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Like 1

I often use music to feed and inspire my photography walks and rides. Robertson’s music was always a good fit for me. It got me wondering why… I did a search for Scorsese & Robertson soundtrack collaborations. 
https://www.cbc.ca/music/robbie-robertson-film-scores-martin-scorsese 

quite a list of projects together.
The why may be for another time. 

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e

1 hour ago, inoneeye said:

The why may be for another time.

I read this nice description of his music in the New York Times today. Might be a beginning of the why ...

"The way he deployed his guitar was twangy, sly and rigorously pithy, allowing no wasted motion. The lyrics he wrote could be cryptic or narrative, character studies or tall tales or riddles, and they were informed by history, myth and paradox."

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"