Detail: Vintage Truck

Ricochetrider

this year I’ve not really shot a lot of photos, my usual circuit of car & bike shows has been interrupted by a work or other things but I did manage to get one of my digital cameras out one morning to shoot some County Fair stuff prior to reporting for rigging duty over at the main stage. 

Some fair worker had this old truck on site for whatever reason and I got a few shots of it. Of all, I like this one best- but wonder how it holds up in everyone else’s view. 

Won’t say anything else for now but I’d very much appreciate it, if you all could give me your opinions please. Thanks in advance for your time. 

P1010200.jpeg.1ac1d9cba996081e8c4978edb06b9107.jpeg

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 4

A great shot for those oldies with sentimental thoughts of their past trucks. I had a blue '66 GMC work truck for a decade that had that 'patina' of rust, fade, dirt, and memories. 

Well framed and looks like you resisted fooling with the colors, that Chevy green is unmistakeable.

• Like 1

Why do I say things...

2 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

Notwithstanding what erocphelps said, I'd like to see a version where you do fool with the colors. In particular, let's see what saturating the green looks like. Also, as this photo is nearly monochromatic, let's see high-contrast B&W.

Hey thanks guys.

Mark, here’s the contrasty B&W version. Plenty of texture here so it translates well to this treatment IMO 

IMG_7689.jpeg.f4328009c477473f6bf5744d0f7ddd18.jpeg

I feel

like the natural colors are kinda saturated looking already but maybe a little boost wouldn’t hurt ?

• Like 2

The b&w is nice but I think the original color shot is as well. The curve of the wheel well is an important element IMO, and I think seeing a tiny bit more of it would help. If this is cropped from a larger image I would scooch the crop to the right until the left edge of the frame is about halfway between where it is now and the vertical seam/edge of the panel. 

IHMO, it would be (almost) a crime to adopt a B/W version of this wonderful color photo!

I really like the photo because it combines:

1. a really good 'abstract/visual' structure' in the panels (left and top)

2. the paintwork has a gorgeous, varied texture! 

I had to google the logo (a Chevrolet C20?) but it's a plus point.

I think the colors and textures a fine as they are.

But if you feel they need anything, rather than 'saturation' (version 2) the only thing I would consider experimenting with is very slight increase in the contrast. Rather than 'boosting' all colors, this might give a bit more separation between the greens and blues and bring out the texture a bit more. But it's a fine line. I kinda like the original faded colors!

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Like 4

On 8/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, Ricochetrider said:

mmmm…. I dunno man. Not really my thing but the color gradations are pretty darn sick, saturated or not. 

I really like the geometric segmentation of these intersections; the arc of the wheel well offsets all the straight lines nicely IMO 

IMG_7690.jpeg.c56d454f43e0b5ca744508cc67ff93b4.jpeg

There's too much over saturated crap on PN. You got it right the first time, or in you B/W version. I enjoyed recognizing a true color from my past. Over on No Words there's a thread "Green". Go there to see some sickening over saturation of greens.

BTW, now that I'm selling in a gallery, I saturate more than I used to. Buyers don't tend to care too much about "reality".  In this case, the "true" old color is best and perfectly captured, IMO>

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There little point to the black and white photo. This subject is all about color.  I might have added a bit of saturation, but not as much as you did with your saturated version. I take these kinds of shots all the time. A bit of added contrast might liven it up a bit, without any kind of saturation boost.

• Like 2
Robin Smith

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, Robin Smith said:

There little point to the black and white photo. This subject is all about color.  I might have added a bit of saturation, but not as much as you did with your saturated version. I take these kinds of shots all the time. A bit of added contrast might liven it up a bit, without any kind of saturation boost.

Thanks Robin. I actually did shoot a series of photos on this old truck. I like details so this was my choice for "Critiques". IMO the B&W version showcases the textures rather well. That said, my general rule is to stick with color for colorful subject matter, and the color here is particularly strong.