So a follow up on using non-native lenses on an M

So, it works, but on both live view and with an EVF, there's no focus aid - it looks like all I can rely on is visual decision making about what's in focus - which is pretty hopeless. Is there a better way? Any ideas greatly appreciated, or any existing websites for an idea. Maybe non-native lenses are not the way to go. Perhaps stick to legacy lenses, or the plethora of LTM or M mount lenses. Regards, Arthur

Hi Arthur:

When set to live view, you should be able to use focus peaking on either your M-246's rear screen or EVF. 

Try checking your menu system to make sure focus peaking is turned on; according to this article -

"... Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) camera‘s live view function which automatically activates when focusing with focus peaking showing the in-focus and out of focus areas with red, green or blue lines around the subject. This coupled with the magnification function serves to help capture images in critical focus. In live view mode, focusing is entirely manual while the focus is peaking and 10x live view zoom aids to ensure critical focus." 

Edited by Bill Blackwell Images

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

It's using an M10 monochrom. Focus peaking works with LTM lenses (older leica lenses, the russian LTM', and the 7atisans), with M adapter, but not with other lenses (a pentax and a nikon).  That's both using the live view and an evf.  I'll try the nikon and pentax lenses on my type 246's to see if they are different.  Thanks, Arthur.

1 hour ago, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

It's using an M10 monochrom. Focus peaking works with LTM lenses (older leica lenses, the russian LTM', and the 7atisans), with M adapter, but not with other lenses (a pentax and a nikon).  That's both using the live view and an evf.  I'll try the nikon and pentax lenses on my type 246's to see if they are different.  Thanks, Arthur.

Oh, you've found yourself an M10-Monochrom. Fantastic!

Apparently, RF coupling makes a difference on M10 camera variants - including the M10-M.

This thread might be of some help to you.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Thanks Bill Blackwell Images, and thanks to Niels and SCL.  I tried the nikon and pentax lenses on my M264 and M264 monochrom, and it was the same story:  focus peaking worked with old LTM's (with adapter) but not with the Nikon and Pentax lenses.  I had to rely on just visual focussing.  Thanks for the link. I'll try thr suggested customisation of the wheel and see how that goes. Regards, Arthur

Arthur - If it is any help, I've found that using non-native lenses on digital when I wanted or needed focus peaking, I always had to make sure I set the (Nikon, Pentax Takumars) lenses to their manual position and did the peaking with the lenses wide open. Maybe this will help.

Not too long ago I finally grabbed an Amadeo adapter to use my Carl Zeiss Contax IIa lenses from the mid-1950’s on my M digital bodies.

I need to get the 50mm f2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar on the m246 Monochrome and put it in the bag with the MP240 setup and see how well it performs today.

7 hours ago, Greg M said:

Not too long ago I finally grabbed an Amadeo adapter to use my Carl Zeiss Contax IIa lenses from the mid-1950’s on my M digital bodies.

I need to get the 50mm f2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar on the m246 Monochrome and put it in the bag with the MP240 setup and see how well it performs today.

Look forward to the outcome.  Does the amadeo adapter accommodate Kiev lenses (a copy of the contax)? I like the rendition of the sonnar design lenses; some of the early canon and nikon lenses seem to owe more to zeiss than to leitz.  But focus shift has always been a problem with sonnar.  I believe that the 7artisans 50mm is based on the sonnar design.  Good photographing, Greg M, will look forward to the results. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1).