Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS "Pancake"

This is not a "series E" lens.

These lenses are VERY hard to find in my neck of the woods , so I bought what was available.

The lens is in good condition.

I actually wanted the all metal JDM version , but no luck there.

This plastic made in Japan lens has a MUCH better build quality than my made in China 50mm f1.8 AF "D" version.

IMG_0720.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, za33photo said:

This is not a "series E" lens.

These lenses are VERY hard to find in my neck of the woods , so I bought what was available.

The lens is in good condition.

I actually wanted the all metal JDM version , but no luck there.

This plastic made in Japan lens has a MUCH better build quality than my made in China 50mm f1.8 AF "D" version.

IMG_0720.JPG

Short of the very nicely constructed Japan made pancake version, version 2 of Series E is actually a metal construction and feels a bit better than the plastic AIS pancake depicted above, ironically - as the Series E lens was an “economy” product.

The optical design of all Nikon 50mm f/1.8’s, short or long-nosed, is the same.

• Like 1
Niels

This thread inspired me to pull out my three 50/1.8 samples:

I am not collecting these, but many camera bodies tend to come with a 50mm so they tend to accumulate.
I actually prefer the of the 50/2.0 Nikkor over the 1.8, but the 2.0 doesn't come in a compact version of course.

Left to right:

Nikkor AIS "pancake": 145 grams min. focus 0.6m
Plastic one-piece focusing ring. Plastic chrome ring, Plastic aperture ring.

Nikon Series E pancake (version 2): 156 grams, min. focus 0.6m
Metal/rubber focusing ring. Metal chrome ring. Plastic aperture ring

Nikkor AI "long nose": 216 grams, min. focus 0.45m
Metal/rubber focusing ring. Metal chrome ring. Metal aperture ring and pre-AI prong.

All have 7 aperture blades.

Nikon Manual Focus 50mm f/1.8

• Like 3
Niels

49 minutes ago, c_watson1 said:

Never really seen anything that confirms the "Cosina-made" label. Just sour grapes or another echo chamber urban legend? Have one. Like it. No complaints.

Sour grapes!! Cosina is challenging even Leica with their lenses in recent years. I proudly use their lenses on my Leica cameras and would be equally proud using the 2.8p if I owned one (cosina or not).

Niels

Fine but I've seen the "Cosina-made" label used disparagingly on this lens for years--usually by credulous Nikon fanboys who've never owned or shot the lens.

It was pricey when it debuted. I grabbed a black demo minus its box from Nikon Canada for half price and still thought it was a bit spendy. Happy I did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niels - NHSN said:

This thread inspired me to pull out my three 50/1.8 samples:

I am not collecting these, but many camera bodies tend to come with a 50mm so they tend to accumulate.
I actually prefer the of the 50/2.0 Nikkor over the 1.8, but the 2.0 doesn't come in a compact version of course.

Left to right:

Nikkor AIS "pancake": 145 grams min. focus 0.6m
Plastic one-piece focusing ring. Plastic chrome ring, Plastic aperture ring.

Nikon Series E pancake (version 2): 156 grams, min. focus 0.6m
Metal/rubber focusing ring. Metal chrome ring. Plastic aperture ring

Nikkor AI "long nose": 216 grams, min. focus 0.45m
Metal/rubber focusing ring. Metal chrome ring. Metal aperture ring and pre-AI prong.

All have 7 aperture blades.

Nikon Manual Focus 50mm f/1.8

I have the Nikkor long nose and it is a good lens. I have several Zeiss for Nikon and they are made in Japan, I think by Cosina. The Zeiss are excellent.

• Like 1