How to Use Flash Manually Off Camera on Film

Hello there. I just bought a Godox Lux Senior that I am planning to shoot my Rolleiflex with. While I can use it with a simple PC sync cord next to my Rolleiflex with a bracket I want to experiment with it by using it in different angles. After this plan of mine started to form in my head I started to find out that I know nearly nothing about off camera flash photography. I have been watching educational videos on internet for the last 2 hours and I haven't been able to find the answers to my questions. So I decided to ask them to you. Here they are:

Godox Lux Senior utilizes a small exposure disc that tells the user which aperture to use with which flash power according to the ISO and the distance of the subject. While I can use it without any problem when I mount my flash next to my camera or on top of it, I wonder if I should change my settings while I use the camera and flash away from each other. I am planning to use the flash with a trigger and place it 45 degrees to my subjects away from camera to get that Rembrandt shadows. How should I calculate the exposure in this setting? Is the distance calculator on the flash used for the camera's distance to the subject or the flash's distance to the subject in off camera flash photography? I hope I could explain my problems well. I will be waiting for your response. Thanks...

On auto mode, the flash will act the same as if it was on the camera, it's just that the flash will be beaming on the subject from a 45 degrees angle. So your exposure settings will be the same as on camera. Be mindful though that the shadow side of the subject may need another 1/2 stop exposure. Experimenting with both auto and full flash will be needed I'd say, until you hit on optimum exposure settings.

• Like 1

In manual mode, the applicable distance would be from the flash to the subject.  As described above, the more the main flash is off to the side of the subject, the more of the shadow side of the subject would be visible, and may need fill light from ambient light, another flash, or from a reflector catching some light from the main flash. 

I have always tried to avoid using direct flash, by using some form of flash diffuser, or bouncing the flash off a ceiling or wall.  Without a flash meter (or auto flash / TTL measured flash), exposure becomes more challenging.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kmac said:

On auto mode, the flash will act the same as if it was on the camera, it's just that the flash will be beaming on the subject from a 45 degrees angle. So your exposure settings will be the same as on camera. Be mindful though that the shadow side of the subject may need another 1/2 stop exposure. Experimenting with both auto and full flash will be needed I'd say, until you hit on optimum exposure settings.

7 hours ago, Ken Katz said:

In manual mode, the applicable distance would be from the flash to the subject.  As described above, the more the main flash is off to the side of the subject, the more of the shadow side of the subject would be visible, and may need fill light from ambient light, another flash, or from a reflector catching some light from the main flash. 

I have always tried to avoid using direct flash, by using some form of flash diffuser, or bouncing the flash off a ceiling or wall.  Without a flash meter (or auto flash / TTL measured flash), exposure becomes more challenging.

Thank you very much for these 2 insights and information. They will surely help me on my personal project.