Please critique

kevinhoogers

It is a nice shot.  where did you shoot it?

I think the issue is that the brightness between the foreground and the background and sky seems off.  The background is in shade or you used a graduated ND filter.  But the sky also seems like it should be brighter to match the brighter foreground.  You took it very early in the morning or late afternoon.  So it could just be that the upper is just more shaded.  

Compositionally, I think it would have been more exciting if you stood in the middle of the road.  It seems safe enough. 

• Like 1
  • On Point 1

I like it, and I agree with Alan regarding the sky. If you're editing in Lightroom, my go-to trick for a situation like this would be to add a linear gradient for the sky and increase the white point until the brightest clouds look almost white, then adjust the shadows, highlights, and contrast until I like the look of it (with all adjustments within the linear gradient).

• Like 1
  • On Point 1

The foreground works. However, the sky is 2/3 of the shot and, while the clouds are interesting, they are not show-stopping interesting, which is needed, in my view, to make this an outstanding photo. As it is, it's good, not great. There might be more in the sky... I'd explore some of the post-processing options to see what. (I'd take it into Topaz Studio, for example, just to experiment.)

• Very Nice 1

I agree with everyone so far, especially about there being too much sky. I hope you don't mind that I messed with it, but it's easier than trying to explain. I would crop the image something like this. If you want me to remove the edited image I'll happily do so.

Dan

IMG_4358.jpeg.c600039799c6565a445089c24e5436cb_kindlephoto-1068904877.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 12:28 PM, AlanKlein said:

It is a nice shot.  where did you shoot it?

I think the issue is that the brightness between the foreground and the background and sky seems off.  The background is in shade or you used a graduated ND filter.  But the sky also seems like it should be brighter to match the brighter foreground.  You took it very early in the morning or late afternoon.  So it could just be that the upper is just more shaded.  

Compositionally, I think it would have been more exciting if you stood in the middle of the road.  It seems safe enough. 

I took the shot purely by chance.  I was driving home from a trip in Jasper, Alberta and I was struck by the scene.  It was taken on a late Sunday afternoon/evening, when most of the weekend holiday traffic was already gone.  I was heading east, with the sun at my back.

6 hours ago, DanJM said:

I agree with everyone so far, especially about there being too much sky. I hope you don't mind that I messed with it, but it's easier than trying to explain. I would crop the image something like this. If you want me to remove the edited image I'll happily do so.

Dan

IMG_4358.jpeg.c600039799c6565a445089c24e5436cb_kindlephoto-1068904877.jpg

I really appreciate what you’ve done, no need to remove it.  I like to see other people’s interpretations, that’s how i can learn too.  I agree there’s a lot of sky

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marc_rochkind said:

I didn't say too much sky!

No you didn't, but I thought someone had. After I reviewed the thread it's clear I misread the comments. Apologies for my 🤪

Edited by DanJM

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I personally don't think that there's 'too much sky'. The sky is (for me) perhaps the most attractive element in the photo. I love the way the texture of the clouds gradually changes between (in the photo) the 'upper sky' and the 'lower sky'.

I do agree that - even if photographically accurate - the transition between the brighter foreground (lower 30% of the photo) to the much darker mountain range just looks abrupt in the frame of this photo. There may well be mountain formations behind the camera that let through sunlight on the road and block it on the mountains ahead.

I think that this is one of those photos where you have to decide between 'photographic accuracy' and (perceived) 'photographic credibility'. As already mentioned, a more gradual transition between the bright foreground and the darker mountain range ahead might not be accurate but might improve the 'perceived credibility'..

The difference between 'light and shadow' (as in this photo) also depends on your light metering and focus at the time. The sky looks fine to me but it could be that the mountain range in the distance came out darker than they appeared to the naked eye.