Orange light leak on medium format camera (Mamiya m645)

mbntr

Hello everyone, some time ago I bought a first gen Mamiya m645, since this is a fairly old camera I replaced the seals with new ones, and while I fixed the classic film door white leak, I got a new one, this time orange and on the side. Out of all shots it appears only once in a frame and another time between two frames.

image.png.1c00a8f80ac068f5f68817a96d61fac4.pngNow, tell me if I'm right, but since the leak extends outside of the frame, it can't really be coming from the shutter since the mask would stop it, it's also orange which would entail that it's going through the orange base, but how come that happen? Wouldn't the backing paper stop that? This camera lacks a back, it uses film inserts so I can't really blame the connection point between camera and back, at the same time I replaced the foam behind and, as far as I can tell, I did a good enough job that it seems light tight when shining a fairly powerful torch at the film door and all the parts where I replaced the foam, I really don't know where it could be coming from since even a door light leak wouldn't look like that since the film emulsion would be the one being exposed, and not the back?

image.thumb.jpeg.26fe6cc5cfdbf45859b77d683e97264c.jpeg

I'm honestly mystified and other than going out and shooting another roll in midday sunlight, I don't know where to start, none of this makes sense, would any of you have an idea?

If you suspect a light leak, place a mini torch in the camera in a dark room and wait ten minutes until your eyes adjust, then search for tiny specks of light and note where in the camera they are.

Edited by kmac

It's also possible that the film may have been exposed to light at the edge by not being sufficiently tight while loading it onto the holder, or when unloading at the end (or even when loading onto a reel for development).

If this has happened to just one roll, I'd cross your fingers and give it another go. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Dustin McAmera said:

It's also possible that the film may have been exposed to light at the edge by not being sufficiently tight while loading it onto the holder, or when unloading at the end (or even when loading onto a reel for development).

If this has happened to just one roll, I'd cross your fingers and give it another go. Good luck!

It could be, though I remember tightening it pretty well, seems like I'll have to wait for a sunny day and shoot another roll!

• 2 months later...