Quantum TD5-R + Quantum Turbo Missfires

hjoseph7

Does anybody work, or have worked with this combo, that is the Quantum TD5-R Flash unit with Quantum Turbo Battery Pack ?  For some reason my Flash missfires for no known reason and at anytime. At first I thought I was firing the flash before it fully recycled, but after investigating that is not the case. The flash will missfire once, then when I press the shutter again it will fire, no problem. This only happens once in a while,  but it happens enough to make me concerned. Right now I'm not sure if it's the power pack that I recently had repaired for the 3rd time, or the flash unit ? I purchased the flash unit off eBay for about 50 bucks so I wasn't expecting much.

When it works, it does put out beautiful, clean light, much better than my speedlights.  I'm not sure if the unit is overheating, but this morning I pressed the Test button on the flash about 10 times then the flash unit shut off. I had to turn off the power pack then turn it back on and I was able to keep firing Test shots. I heard that these flash units don't over heat. Overheating  is not even mentioned in the manual,  so it must be something else ?  

When you say "missfires" do you mean fails to fire? Or fires randomly on its own? 

A failure to trigger is probably down to a faulty cable or connector - the non-locking DIN plugs used by Quantum are awful things infamous for sloppy connections. So check your synch cable or triggers and the cable between PSU and flash. 

Less likely is that the flash has an internal fault, like a dry-joint or failing trigger transformer. Check all your cables first. It's a lot easier and cheaper to fix than trying to diagnose a faulty flash unit. 

On 4/20/2023 at 3:45 AM, rodeo_joe1 said:

When you say "missfires" do you mean fails to fire? Or fires randomly on its own? 

A failure to trigger is probably down to a faulty cable or connector - the non-locking DIN plugs used by Quantum are awful things infamous for sloppy connections. So check your synch cable or triggers and the cable between PSU and flash. 

Less likely is that the flash has an internal fault, like a dry-joint or failing trigger transformer. Check all your cables first. It's a lot easier and cheaper to fix than trying to diagnose a faulty flash unit. 

What I meant by the flash "missfires",  is that occasionally the flash does not fire. I'm using a Quantum D23WR QTTL adapter(sync) that is attached to the flash unit and camera. The flash unit itself has a cable that attaches to the Quantum Turbo battery pack. I cleaned all the connectors on the QTTL adapter with an eraser,  but not the connectors on the cable going to the power pack. Maybe I should try that next ...   

• 11 months later...

I purchased a couple of new Quantum D23WR adapters from eBay and the problem with missfires has been solved. Unfortunately, when I underexpose the flash displays "OVER EXPOSED"  and when I overexpose the flash displays "UNDER EXPOSED" . I called the people at Promark and they told me that it might be due to the version of adapter I'm using with my Canon 6D. My faulty adapter the one that missfired didn't have that problem ?  That's OK I can live with that. No wonder Metz went out of business, trying to keep up with the manufacturers exposure systems. They had so many adapters out there that it got really confusing...