weird band of underexposure on negatives

I shot a roll of Fuji Reala, and several frames have an odd band of underexposure at the left edge. i was using a newly refurbished canon ftb. I have never had it happen before, nor on a subsequent roll of reala, which I shot with (i think) the same body. See attached. 

Anyone know why this happened?

56-28 print 4x6.jpg

It looks as if the shutter is tapering, that is, one or both curtains are not traveling evenly across the frame. It usually happens at faster shutter speeds, achieved by the second curtain following the first, effectively forming a slit which travels across. Either stick to slower speeds or return it to whoever did the refurbishment.

3 hours ago, glen_h said:

I suspect it is the shutter, but since not all information is given, similar bands come from underfilling a developing tank.

I don't think so--any developing tank I am familiar with has the film reel on its side during processing which would lead to a loss of density along the long edge of the image, not between the frames.  Also, when I've seem the effects of not enough chemistry on some of my students' negatives there has been a soft line not a hard one like the OP.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJG said:

I don't think so--any developing tank I am familiar with has the film reel on its side during processing which would lead to a loss of density along the long edge of the image, not between the frames.  Also, when I've seem the effects of not enough chemistry on some of my students' negatives there has been a soft line not a hard one like the OP.

You can't tell from the view shown, which side it is.  Only one actual corner is within the view.

There  is some noise on the right edge of the image shown, which doesn't seem to be the next frame.

-- glen

The right side is pretty clearly the shutter hanging up.  Nothing to do with development.  The "noise" on the left is clearly just the edge of the image area on the film.

You say that this a refurbished camera?  The shutter issue might clear up with some use but it could also be on it's way out.