Query re Canon AE-1 battery door

arthur_mcculloch2

Hi. I normally use the rangefinder site.  But, I was 'gifted' four AE-1's just recently. Plus some lenses. One had a damaged battery door (the latch was broken, and the battery door cracked. I've superglued it so that it closes).  In exploring the others, one of the battery doors lost part of it - again the latch.  Was this a problem with AE- 1's? Any advice about what to do would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, they seem in good order, and I'll try to run some film thru them over the next week or two.  See what happens.  Regards, and thanks in anticipation, Arthur (apiarist1).

Broken battery doors are a common problem with A series SLR's. It sounds as if you have dealt with it as best you can, at least the battery stays put without the door. I once replaced a missing door with a piece of black card cut to size and trapped behind the detachable finger grip to keep it in position.

• Like 1

I help a local camera store testing the used cameras they receive, and many Canon A series cameras have the broken battery door problem you describe.

Luckily, I have enough donor bodies to replace the problematic door in the otherwise working cameras - at least up till now.

In my process to educate myself on how to fix these otherwise working cameras, I found great help from Youtube on how to replace the door (and lift off the top plate in the process).

My research also indicated that the problem is so common that there are third party manufactured battery door parts easily available on eBay.

Edited by Niels - NHSN
  • Like 2
Niels

I believe the door problem is from people pushing the door closed with the little latch extended causing a lot of stress. I have always been very careful opening and closing the battery doors on A series cameras and while I have had a couple with broken doors in purchases off eBay I have never had one break while in my hands. But then I have only used A series cameras since Sept of 1976 LOL.

• Like 1

I used to wonder how people managed to break the battery door; it's not as if it gets used many times. Then mine fell off in my hand. If I remember right, it was as I opened it, when it came to it's fullest opening. I wonder if maybe the door gets stressed during normal handling of the camera, with the door closed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...