Skagen, Denmark

marc_rochkind

Absolutely fabulous photo. Another photo that makes me feel part of the scene, just by looking at it. The clouds, great and foreboding, the grass, parted for a path. The people, adding scale yes, but much more. They've reached the end, or have they? Wonderful shot, thanks for sharing! 

Oh - There's lots to this, isn't there? What a terrific shot. Bravo.

I plonked a big copy on my Studio Monitor - would it had been higher resolution, I reckon I would be applauding more so.

It occurs to me you are meticulous with your Post Production (and B&W conversion if this is a digital capture): doing so certainly pays off. The tonal range and the small gradations are wonderful to see - more the pity that, that Art seems to be loosing traction as more and more (Digital) Photographers 'take up' Black and White Imaging.

I'll make a guess that you worked in, or at least appreciate the work done in a Wet Dark Room? (Not to start any debate on the worth of teaching same, nowadays, - just noting there must be some history to your understanding of some of the Technical Elements of B&W).  

Has anyone ever commented on the two hounds/hogs lurking in the grass of Middleground Left? They are wonderful. Perhaps protectors of the small Keep? Is it an Artillery Installation?  

In summary I think it is wonderful, mysterious, moody and (unusually) soothing.

The (one) critique point I offer is - Higher Camera Viewpoint. The Building cuts the Water/Sky Horizon - that's jarring.

WW

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, @William Michael!

I did as a teenager work in a wet darkroom, but nothing there informed my current post processing. I have put a lot of effort into learning digital B&W. The best book on the subject I've found is Creative Black & White by Harold Davis.

The image was shot in raw, processed some in Lightroom, then in Silver Efex Pro, then a bit in Photoshop. A lot is lost in the PN reproduction. I was disappointed to see the image here compared to on my monitor at home.

That structure is a WWII bunker. Those still dot the beach at Skagen. I wish I could say I set up the shot. In fact, it was a quick snap as we were driving our car a bit on the beach (which is allowed). This is why I always shoot raw and always with what I call a "real camera," not a phone.

I might experiment with lopping off the top of the bunker and replacing it with water and sky.

• Like 2

Very beautiful image. The black and white helps to accentuate the textures of the grasses and bring out the drama and the sky. One very small issue to me is that I would prefer to see the structure a little less in line with the horizon. I would prefer to see top edge of it below the edge of the horizon. Again, very small issue for an overall beautiful image.

• 2 months later...