Paubel Peco Supra II

koko05

Hi

thanks for accepting me.

I wave an old Paubel Peco Supra II camera and I’d like to try it out, but I don’t have a sheetholder and I don’t know which one fits. It says 9x12 but those are too large.

any idea?

I think the next size down if your camera isn't a 9x12 would be 6.5x9 cm.

What kind of plate/film holders do you have? As far as I understand it, Plaubel supplied metal single holders for their camera.

This picture shows some of the metal holders: https://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Plaubel/Peco-Supra-II.html

..but not how they attach. I guess they must slide in front of the ground glass, like the big wooden double dark-slides, but probably into a groove.

You probaby have to use Plaubel's own holders. If the camera turns out to be 6.5x9, I'd certainly look for a roll-film back.

I found a couple of old threads at Photrio:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/9x12-plaubel-peco-jr-questions.59483/

and

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/anybody-here-using-the-plaubel-peco-junior.193886/

It seems that Plaubel kept using single metal slides later than many makers, but an alternate ground-glass back was available that let you use the bigger wooden double dark-slides, that became 'international'.

It seems to be in very nice condition! Good luck with it!

I have a 4x5-inch Calumet monorail camera, which I got cheap in an online auction because they only allowed pickup in person. But I paid more for the extras you have to have, like holders, film, a better tripod, ... than I did for the camera!

That appears to be a standard sprung back for a double-darkslide (DDS). The film holder is pushed underneath the sprung ground-glass screen after focussing and composing. 

Next size down from 9x12cm would be quarter-plate - 3.25"x4.25" (~83x108mm) - and from that, 65mm x 90mm. You need to measure the width between the guide rails either side of the screen section to find out for sure.

A DDS is about 1cm wider than the film it's designed to take. So the width difference should be obvious; at just over 90mm for quarter-plate, and around 75mm for 6.5 x 9cm film. 

Neither of those film sizes are easy to find these days and you're probably looking at a cost of £50 or €50 minimum order for film + the cost of a darkslide if you don't already have one. 

Does the camera have a lens fitted? Is the lens in good condition, and does the shutter work? 

If the answer to any of those is 'no', then it's going to be an expensive and tedious business making the camera workable.