Sybersync being fickle

Chris Autio

Even though my $88 Sybersync brand trigger is charged (the transmitter…), it will not fire when I most need it. It quits signaling when I enter into new locations for a shoot.  Sometimes it will start working if I pull out all connecting wires and turn off transmitter.  I say “how ridiculous” but there must be reason it fires and a similar reason it doesn’t fire. I certainly pat myself on the back for always having a dependable sync cord.

I can't find anything spelt "Sybersync". Do you mean the Paul C.Buff Cybersync? 

Two things spring to mind. 

1. It's a simple mechanical connection issue; such as a dodgy hotshoe. 

2. The Cybersync uses common WiFi channel frequencies, and is therefore going to be prone to interference from WiFi routers, etc. 

IMO it's madness to use the crowded 2.4Mhz band for something like a flash trigger. The ~350 MHz band is less crowded and has a better range/power ratio. It may not be strictly legal in some parts of the world, but who's going to catch you? A few milliwatts 500us pulse every few seconds is hardly a major RFI hazard, and almost impossible to triangulate and track down!