Tall columns of DC

Kamala

It’s cool, but I would experiment with a lens correction to straighten out the parallel lines of the columns. It seems a bit squished *edit I just saw you shot it with a fisheye lens. Disregard! 

Edited by jc1305us

• 5 months later...

Very strong vertical and diagonal lines, which draw my eye down through the center of the image following the vanishing perspective. The flag flying in the upper left provides a nice counterpoint to the rest of the scene. Nice image. I wonder if it may have been stronger if, at the end of the vanishing perspective point, there would have been some element that stood out from the rest of the repeating patterns of lines.

• Like 1

Hi @Kamala, I really like this photo. I don't know the location but FWIW, I think it's fine as it is.

I'm with @michael_kucinich's comment that 'The flag flying in the upper left provides a nice counterpoint to the rest of the scene'.

If you're posting the photo for 'critique', my guess is that you want some feedback (opinions) on the strong points and potential improvements.

IMHO, this photo is 99% perfect as it is. It's perfectly symmetrical, the grey values cover the whole spectrum and I love the way the photo just draws the viewer's eyes (top, bottom, left right) deeper and deeper along the 'çorridor'. There are a lot of greyscale and texture variations along the way, so the photo is never 'bland'. It's stays interesting, however deep you look into it. So, basically, it's realy good as it is.

The only 1% improvement that I can suggest is is that the left column in the foreground looks very slightly curved. It's not by much (1 or 2 degrees) but I still see it,  given that all other edges are straight .I leave it to you whether to correct the minimal curve or not. Should you decide to correct the curve, then the good news is that no further 'lens corrections' are needed. These may affect the rest of the photo which is perfect as it is.

I'm not sure whether or how you do any post-processing. For now, I'm just assuming you do (or could do). What I would suggest is not complicated, just select a straight line area across the foremost left colum. Then clone and paste the 'sky' to the left of the line of the line to straighten out the curve. Finally clone and paste the column edge texture (above or below) to the right of the line to give a 'straightened edge' that blends in with the rest of the left column.

As always, selections, cloning & pasting and 'blending' edges & textures is an 'eyeball process'. At each step you find things that you may not be satisfied with. Then you go back and adjust/refine your process. Until (hopefuly) you get a result that you're happy with.