Stairs Abstract - Seeking critique on B&W compositions, tones....

Kamala

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you saw an image there that was worth exploring. This is the image that I coaxed out of the original. My eye was drawn to the people in the upper left but there is so much extraneous information that they fade into the background. This crop doesn't pull them to the front but they add an element of "chaos" the the geometry of the stairs, floor and stairwell. Maybe the shadow in the center could be a little darker but I don't think it would really make that big a difference. Otherwise the tonality is pleasing. I hope this helps.

STAIRS_2.jpg

Edited by Marv Thompson
addition
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Marv Thompson said:

I'm sure you saw an image there that was worth exploring. This is the image that I coaxed out of the original. My eye was drawn to the people in the upper left but there is so much extraneous information that they fade into the background. This crop doesn't pull them to the front but they add an element of "chaos" the the geometry of the stairs, floor and stairwell. Maybe the shadow in the center could be a little darker but I don't think it would really make that big a difference. Otherwise the tonality is pleasing. I hope this helps.

STAIRS_2.jpg

Thanks, Marv, for the detailed critique. Agree with you that the people on the top of the image not add too much to stairs composition. I included that section of the image to provide context to the whole story. I also liked the bright squares to the top right that adds to the entire space. I honestly did not think of the shadow in the center. I can try and darken it and check how that will turn out.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:08 PM, Marv Thompson said:

STAIRS_2.jpg

I agree that some cropping improves the original, but I believe that you've cropped too much. I like more of the context as Kamala states. I would have only cropped a bit off the bottom and perhaps the top close to the stairs, or perhaps shave a bit of the stairs off the top. I really like this shot.

• Like 2

I think the cropping will depend on how abstract the photographer wants it to be. Context is something often removed in order to create more true abstracts. Since this is titled with the word abstract, I assumed that was the goal, so I’d agree with the context being cropped out. If, on the other hand, the goal is less about abstraction, some context will provide a more filled-in narrative. Because I think the context here feels visually a bit awkward, there’s a good case to me made for removing it and sticking to the instinct the title suggests, which is abstract. 

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 4

"You talkin' to me?"

20 hours ago, samstevens said:

I think the cropping will depend on how abstract the photographer wants it to be. Context is something often removed in order to create more true abstracts. Since this is titled with the word abstract, I assumed that was the goal, so I’d agree with the context being cropped out. If, on the other hand, the goal is less about abstraction, some context will provide a more filled-in narrative. Because I think the context here feels visually a bit awkward, there’s a good case to me made for removing it and sticking to the instinct the title suggests, which is abstract. 

Thanks, @samstevensGot it... As a novice in abstract, I now understand the thinking on cropping! Thank you both for the wonderful inputs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really promising. The pattern of the windows at the upper right is interesting, if abbreviated. This image is really about the oval of the stairs framing the plaza below. So, I'd crop the top out. I tried this with a card and it really made for a much stronger image. @Marv Thompsonhas a crop along these lines, but I wouldn't go as far as he did. You still, I think, want the outer outline of the stairs.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the late entry to the conversation.

I have to be honest, I really like square format images, so a square crop will always make me smile. But, my view, FWIW, is that it does work for this image BUT ONLY after seeing the larger image which gives more context. I agree that Marv's crop is too much, and is very tight on the right hand side, particularly. I think I might try a wider crop (not too much, though) and make it starker - increase the contrast, and make it a low-key image of tones and shapes.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, hjoseph7 said:

Interesting, but I'm having problems trying to find a Theme ?

Theme? What does that mean.

Can't we experience shapes, forms and textures without a "theme?" If you find it "interesting", I think that should be enough.

13 hours ago, dcstep said:

Theme? What does that mean.

Can't we experience shapes, forms and textures without a "theme?" If you find it "interesting", I think that should be enough.

In this case by 'Theme' I meant is something that would make it me look twice IMHO. Drama maybe  ?

Edited by hjoseph7

• 2 weeks later...