Abstract - Spiral Rotunda. Seeking comments and inputs

Kamala

I took this picture of the spiral dome/rotunda. Wanted some of your thoughts and inputs on the composition. Looks like the dark 'patch' on the left is a drawing a little too much attention. I do like that because it also serves as a leading line towards the bottom.

Thanks, Kamala

Smithsonian_Rotunda_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent! 1
  • Very Nice 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 7:26 PM, Kamala said:

I took this picture of the spiral dome/rotunda. Wanted some of your thoughts and inputs on the composition. Looks like the dark 'patch' on the left is a drawing a little too much attention. I do like that because it also serves as a leading line towards the bottom.

Thanks, Kamala

Smithsonian_Rotunda_01.jpg

Kamala, what building is this.  Excellent shot!

2 hours ago, mickeysimpson said:

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the compliments. This is the shot of the rotunda looking up, like you can see. The building is Smithsonian - American Indian Museum. The architecture of this building is very unique. Both internal and external!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few suggestions:

1. This may be due to the limited reproduction here, but perhaps there could be some more definition in the upper-left part of the spiral. The bands are merging together.

2. The partial oval at the left isn't part of the main subject and is distracting. I'd crop it away.

3. Increase the contrast. This may also address #1.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 5:22 PM, Robin Smith said:

The composition is a classic rule of thirds with respect to horizontal placement, and it works well. You could change it, but I'd leave alone

Thanks, @Robin Simth. One thing I wonder is the details... I did like the composition, but I still think something is missing.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:55 PM, marc_rochkind said:

A few suggestions:

1. This may be due to the limited reproduction here, but perhaps there could be some more definition in the upper-left part of the spiral. The bands are merging together.

2. The partial oval at the left isn't part of the main subject and is distracting. I'd crop it away.

3. Increase the contrast. This may also address #1.

I will definitely try the bullet 3. That could fix a lot of things.  I can play with composition by cropping... I did that but I thought this was the best. Will give it a try again.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:22 PM, michael_kucinich said:

This image is well exposed and processed. I believe the very center of the Rotunda is too close to the center of the image and that it might be more dynamic/ interesting if the very center of the rotunda was moved off the center of the image.

Thanks, Michael. Worth a try. I will try that.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:10 PM, mickeysimpson said:

Hi Mickeysimpson, This the inside architecture of National Museum of American Indian, Smithsonian in DC

• 2 weeks later...