Minolta SRT 201

Hello I am Ken and I just got a Minolta SRT 201 that was supposed to work, but I have a problem that might be familiar to a more experienced person. I am a novice when it comes to vintage cameras, but I learned how to replace the 'return' capacitor. Here's my problem.

Regardless of the speed that I set, the shutter closes when I press the shutter button, but it does not open back up unless I release the button. This is the first time that I have come across this and would appreciate some guidance. Thank you

Ken

3 hours ago, Ken at West Point said:

Regardless of the speed that I set, the shutter closes when I press the shutter button, but it does not open back up unless I release the button. This is the first time that I have come across this and would appreciate some guidance.

Clarifying - Does this mean:

"Regardless of What Shutter Speed is selected on the Shutter Speed Dial [B 1 2 4 8 15 30 60 125 250 500 1000] when the Shutter Release Button is pressed, the Mirror goes UP and Shutter Curtain OPENS, and stays open, until I release my finger on the Shutter Button"  

If yes, then the camera is acting as if the "B" is ALWAYS selected.

Therefore the fault is probably located somewhere in the shutter speed mechanism chain.

This begins at the Shutter Speed Dial (outside the camera) and ends at the Shutter Mechanism (inside the camera).

It might be a mechanical issue - for example (and hopefully simply) the Shutter Speed Dial is not engaged properly and that's why the selection is stuck on "B".

WW

On 2/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, Ken at West Point said:

Hello I am Ken and I just got a Minolta SRT 201 that was supposed to work, but I have a problem that might be familiar to a more experienced person. I am a novice when it comes to vintage cameras, but I learned how to replace the 'return' capacitor. Here's my problem.

Regardless of the speed that I set, the shutter closes when I press the shutter button, but it does not open back up unless I release the button. This is the first time that I have come across this and would appreciate some guidance. Thank you

Ken

This was my first camera back in the 1980's ! Actually I had the SRT 202 which was a little higher up on the scale. I would say the shutter is probably stuck in Bulb Mode. If that's the case, then probably the whole shutter mechanism is shot and needs to be replaced. if you are nifty with tools you could try to open the camera and try lubing the shutter and see if that helps. Otherwise these cameras are selling for peanuts on eBay.