Please kindly give photo feedback. I am very new!

Kfearn

It's up to you to pick the best. These vary from quite good to quite bad.

The color balance on the third one is off. You need to be consistent through your sets. If you weren't shooting in RAW, you need to start so that you control color balance.

The second one is the only one that shines for me. The child is engaged, the eyes are in focus and big, the hand positions are excellent.

I think that the 4th one is a little funny, particularly if this is a little girl. The first one seems clumsy to me, with the "1" stating the obvious and too much diaper showing. Besides the color balance problem with the third one, the pose seems aimless and lazy.

Shooting children is like shooting wild animals, you're not in control. Maybe you have a little bit, but take lots of pix (hundred) and pick the very best, with killer expressions, eye contact and nice gestures. DON'T let the client have all of your files. It's your responsibility to pick the very best and deliver the very best.

Thank you for the feedback.  I am currently learning Lightroom and editing so I really appreciate the color feedback.  I am working on it.  This is my daughter so it was hard to be objective as I liked them all…but yes she was a wild animal…and frankly not a happy one for this.  Saving up for a camera and I just shot these on my iPhone so hopefully I can shoot faster than I can and get more pictures to chose from.

I genuinely appreciate the advice.  Thank you!

• Like 2

As per my comment in your other thread - the equipment  (in this case) has a limitation: the main issue being Shutter Speed. The i-phone probably pulling 1/60th second: babies are moving Subjects - I haven't forensically investigated the images, however on first glance, the softness is probably Subject Movement Blur.

I agree with David - #2 is the best. And I agree with his reasons for it being the best: yet - it is a tad soft.

WW

Sure, the colors might be off in some (there seems to be a pinkish hue in all but the first one), but I think you've done a great job of capturing your daughter's personality, which is far more important than technical perfection.  But I'm not a pro photographer or even a skilled amateur, so my 'critiques' are based solely on my perception of the aesthetic of a photo (which doesn't mean it has to be 'pretty') and/or the emotion it conjures.  I like these.

• Like 1

She's a cutie.   As mentioned by others, the eyes are not sharp because of too slow shutter speed with the iPhone.  When you get a dedicatd camera, you'll be able to deal with that better.  One recommendation.  Get a camera that has an articulating screen on the back so you can stand while aiming at you baby low down, looking down into the screen.  It'll make it easier on your back.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The FIRST PRINCIPLE is

"above all else, get the picture"

I personally feel you've done pretty well at that.

Then start working on the technical details, preferably not all at once.

More than anything else, look at lots of pictures. Be inspired, although like a novice painter, a little copying (and learning how to do so) is often helpful.

• Like 2

The eyes have it!

On an IPhone, I think you did well! I agree that the 2nd photo is the best of the bunch because your daughter's eyes are more sharply in focus.  But still not 'tack sharp'. It depends a bit on the portrait but in general (with a better camera/lense), focusing on your daughter's eyes - and catchlights - usually bring portraits 'to life'. A better camera would also enable you to use 'burst mode': a series of shots within 1-2 seconds from which you can select the 'best photos'. In terms of what your daughter's doing, where she's looking (preferably into the camera now and then) and how 'in focus' (eyes) your shots are, etc.

A 'better camera' doesn't automatically mean a new one. There are many good 2nd hand cameras (and lenses) available that will do the job.

FWIW, I still use a 2nd hand 2012 camera for (voluntary) 'portrait photography' just because I've never found a sound reason to 'upgrade'. These days, much better 2nd hand cameras (and lenses) are available.

I agree with all the above. 1 yr old kids move quickly (and it increases with age), and you want to stop that motion...but honestly, you will never be quick enough. That is why you want a quick shutter and the ability to shoot in burst mode. As far as focusing, concentrate on the eyes. Take lots and lots of photos and select the best to keep, and make duplicates of them...you never know when a file is liable to be corrupted. As far as cameras go, I agree that you don't by any means need the latest and greatest; there are many used bargains which will do the job just fine. As you develop your skills with a camera, you will probably want to use a zoom lens initially and perhaps laterr graduate to a series of individual lenses. BTW your daughter is really cute, so capture those moments now and treasure them later (spoken as a father of a grown daughter).

Normally I do not comment on this forum.

All those photo's of your Daughter are absolutely fine just as they are , keep them.

Remember that Tomorrow your Daughter will be one day older , and you cannot go back in time to retake any photo's.

I agree that children are blamed difficult to photograph , it is best to catch them unawares.

• Yes! 1