How to request review

Pierre Dumas

In a few occasions I noticed the option "write a review", rating was required in that option, but there was still the option to write a comment! I asked the authors how to request the review option and they didn't answer!

Therefore I'm asking the administration and, of course anyone who knows the answer

Much obliged

PDE

The answer is simple.  The software we operate on is 'less than optimal.'  Review gives one little yellow stars to play with, comment awards thumbs, trophies, and star icons.  You pick, as the intended purpose kind of fails and no replacement exists.  Do we get rid of reviews and stick with comments?  That is a partial fix and cuts out confusion. 

The more functional & featured an application is, the more granular the administrative and styling options.  Invision gets a bit dense at times and does not know where to put just comments or just reviews.  The latter are intended for gallery and album submissions to certain categories of things.  Nor does the basic forum communicate well with the gallery application.  Turn something off there, and it happens globally.

Perhaps in another incarnation...

It is odd: I see in the Member Albums all (all the ones I looked at) had both a Comments tab and a Review tab. That included people listed as Pro and as Members.

If you specifically *want* review of a particular photo (not just wondering why that tab hasn't appeared for you), then there's the 'Seeking critique' forum: https://www.photo.net/forums/forum/53-seeking-critique/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dustin McAmera said:

It is odd: I see in the Member Albums all (all the ones I looked at) had both a Comments tab and a Review tab. That included people listed as Pro and as Members.

If you specifically *want* review of a particular photo (not just wondering why that tab hasn't appeared for you), then there's the 'Seeking critique' forum: https://www.photo.net/forums/forum/53-seeking-critique/

Thank you very much, Dustin!

PDE

Again we say, the thing is a bollix--and not in a way particular to the limitations of the platform we have today.  Several other major board platforms don't seem to know any better either.

I sometimes wonder what core platform coders think when setting up functions.  Things as simple as a real media manager.  Or being able to 'granularly' set permissions for certain functions and where they are to appear.  Comments/review are one of those.  The options are ridiculous.  If the review section is enabled (and it should have a comment section of its own), if ALL commenting is turned off all one can leave is a rating. 

If it is turned off, one can leave a rating comment/review, but the stupidity is that it adds comments not only to the review but also a general "comment" section.  Not only confusing, but absolutely redundant for the purpose.  And the developers hard baked it into the core code, and no one offers a plugin to remedy the stupidity.

Another fun-filled feature here on PhotoNet.