Repair Voigtlander Bessa-R

Ecclesurfilm

I was given a Voigtlander Bessa-R that looks to be in good condition, especially the mechanical pieces. However the lever doesn't advance. I can depress the shutter button but it doesn't "click" because the advance lever is stuck. Could this be a simple fix? I'd like to repair it to use the camera but I am getting quoted $300 from repair shops to send it off. At this point I am considering selling it for parts but this is a last effort to look into possibly repairing it myself for finding someone on here who could do the repair for much less. My budget to repair is $100.

Thank you for the help!

20230123_224448.jpg

20230123_224457.jpg

Screenshot_20230127_072459_Gallery.jpg

20230123_224540.jpg

• Like 1

Save the $300 to get it fixed. Bessa R's are not cheap second hand, so it will only add value to a quality camera.

The problem seems to be a faulty anti double exposure lock. The mechanism below the shutter button probably needs cleaning and lubricating, or a spring has shifted out of place.

If you don’t want to pay the asking price for repairs, just sell it “as is” an move on.

The Bessa R may be somewhat hyped today, but is really based on a very cheap Cosina camera which was good value in its day but was never made with the intention of long life and repair. 

A Barnack Leica would probably cost about the same to have repaired but would be a much better long term investment.

Niels

Make sure the rewind button isn't in the rewind position and is in the advance position, then move the shutter speed button off of B onto a bona fide speed, see if the shutter button fires and then try the advance lever.  This trick often works on Barnacks, although I'm not sure about the Bessas, but it might be worth a try before making other decisions.

My first guess would be the double exposure latch, too. 

On many cameras this latch is located under the bottom plate. Remove the bottom plate (and check for parts falling out - keep the camera with the bottom plate on top). Check whether there is a lever with a cam which blocks a groove on the main advance shaft (in many cases, it s a a rather big cog wheel, maybe it moves slightly as you try to move the advance lever). Maybe the return spring of this lever is blocked or broken. In some cases, the bearing of the lever is stuck. Apply a drop of lighter fluid to the bearing and try to move it. You can add a tiny (I said TINY) drop of gun oil (or silicon oil) to the bearing. 

In case of a broken hairspring, in most cases you have to replace it. With some practice, it is not too difficult to bend a new hairspring from thin springy wires. In the era of computer diskettes you could cannibalize the spring from the cover covering the case slot. In most cases, "strength" of this hairspring is not critical.