Finally I found one

I have been looking for a wide angle lens to use on my Nikon FM2n for a long time without success.

This was the only one that I could find , I am fully aware that this particular lens is not regarded as the best one that Nikon made , but I bought it anyway , I was also able to haggle the seller down to a VERY reasonable price.

The lens appears to be in quite good shape , It operates smoothly and there are no scratches on the lens elements , there is also no fungus present.

If the lens does not work out , I will not have lost a lot of money , a condition of the sale was that there would be no returns , the seller assured me that the lens still works , we will see 😁😁😁.

IMG_0569.JPG

• Like 2

Congratulations with your new/old lens. Nikon has always been very good at making 28mm lenses, so even the lesser models are quite useable.

Your lens is the first 28/2.8 AF lens and was 5 elements, probably based on the 5 element design of the 28mm Series E. The following model 28/2.8 AF-D was improved slightly with 6 elements.

As you will see, the touch and feel will not live up to what you are used to from the manual focus Ai lenses, the focusing ring is a particular poor design, something Nikon remedied in the next generation AF lenses.

Where the lens may lack in ergonomics and sexiness, it will most like compensate in value for money. It will certainly not be the lens' fault if you don't make good photographs 🙂

• Like 2
Niels

I don't have a Nikon WA lens and have perused ebay etc with possibly getting myself one. 

Back in the day, I decided Leica and Nikon were "too rich" for my blood. However, back in the late 80s, my Aunt upgraded her rig and offered me an Nikon EM body. Which I thought I would give my GF for Xmas, but I needed to get a kit lens.  I took the body to a "a swap meet" but left it in the car (bad idea).  After obtaining said 1.8 Nikkor for a reasonable, amount, I returned to the car and realized the cameras was stolen. Quite a few years passed and when a friend "went digital" he gave me his Nikon (F301) kit with yet another 1.8 Nikkor, a 300mm Mirror lens ,and a 28mm Kiron. Which does an ok job
       [ recently somebiody gifted me a F801....and in a grab bag of stuff a Tokina 200mm Telephoto.....so much for avoiding Nikon. ]

I digress So I too am "quasi" in the market for a Wide Angle Nikkor as Nikon lenses are considered quite good. In fact Nikon was known for their lenses ..before they made cameras 😉  I suspect you will get "reasonable " results. This model will work on the F801?? 
Looking forward to your report on performance.... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first Nikon lens, the only lens I bought with my (then) new FM, is

(I still have it) the 35/2.0. 

Before that, I used my dad's Canon rangefinder with a 35/2.8, and always

liked it more than the 50mm lens.

With a 35mm lens, there was not a lot of reason for a 28, so I went

to the 24 as the next step.

But if you don't have a 35, then 28 is a good choice.

As others note, the feel of the early AF lenses isn't as good as the

feel of the AI lenses.  But they will work on many of the Nikon DSLRs.

(Not all, though. Check before buying to be sure.)

-- glen