Coolscan software for Apple

Rick Helmke

Evening everyone,

I’m looking at a Nikon Coolscan and have a software problem. The one I’ve been borrowing has software that only works with Windows XP and maybe Windows 7. There is another one available locally that’s been refurbished but doesn’t use a USB plug. I don’t know how to describe the plug it uses but the only computer I have with the correct port is a MacBook 4. Is there a Mac compatible version of software for the Coolscan series? Nikon doesn’t support this tech any longer of course but if they ever did then there ought to be a copy available or downloadable somewhere on the planet. I don’t know, maybe my old Dell desktop has a proper receptacle but I haven’t looked. Ideas? Thanks.

Rick H.

No USB, maybe the older SCSI version? So that's one possible issue. Next would be trying to find a Firewire to SCSI adaptor for the MackBook. Which was possible in the past many years ago, but a driver was needed and depending on the OS, that may also be a no go. Lastly, some software to drive it. Now that is doable (at a price):

https://www.silverfast.com/about-silverfast-why-scanning-basics-of-scanning/silverfast-for-scanners-from-manufacturer-company-nikon/

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Does it require SCSI? My LS-5000 scanner works on Firewire, so I just use a TB3 to firewire connector.  Unfortunately the old Nikon scan ware doesn't work on current Mac software, but silverfish and VuScan do.  What model scanner are you looking at Rick?  Nikon scan ware 4.0 for Mac stopped working after Mountain Lion or thereabouts.

Ok here’s what I have: no photo but there is a Coolscan 4000 that has a FireWire plug and that’s a permanent installation. The other is a Coolscan 4 and that’s the one I’ve used quite a bit with Windows XP. The two Mac computers are an I Book G-4 on Mac OS X 10.4.11. And an I Macdesktop with a Retina display. It has recently been updated to Monterey 12.6 about six months ago but is updating right now to Ventura 13.2. It dates back to 2017 and does not have a FireWire receptacle. Talking with a friend earlier today who is more computer literate than me he indicated that Nikon should have made a Mac version of software for both scanners but he doesn’t have any Mac compatible software. Maybe Nikon or someone else has software that will work such as what is described above. 

Rick H.

From the release noted of Vuescan: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm

It is very well maintained, a new release now and two previous ones towards the end of 2022. It works well and should work well also with old-timer scanners. I use it with my Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and am happy with it.

And the Nikon supported scanners: https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/nikon.html#scanner-drivers

Edited by je ne regrette rien