Am I a bad editor?

coronacosmo

I took 3 photo in 2 stop expose for this photo and blend them in lightroom and this is the result that I got. I have seen many tutorials but for some reason my photo doesn't look good. what am I doing wrong?

Here are my original images- https://i.postimg.cc/nLzPfbB9/DSC02626.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/T29ggyZG/DSC02625.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/CLxDNhg8/DSC02627.jpg

(This is a NOT a commerical work)

DSC02625-HDR-2.thumb.jpg.87fa94546f92ae0187c1284dc201fb18.jpg

• On Point 1

• 1 month later...

I don't think you necessarily did anything technically wrong Corona, but something to consider is whether this subject benefits from HDR.  I actually prefer either of the first two shorter exposure images because they have more mystery. I think this one is sort of flat: HDR removes the contrast, but maybe that's not a benefit here. The subject is also unexciting.

Try another HDR with a different subject backlit by sun, see what happens. Taking into the sun may require 5 or even 7 shots however.  I prefer 1 f-stop separation between them.

gb

Apologies, I missed this request in January.

FWIW, I think you're a very good editor! This 'high contrast' (dark room/bright windows) situation is IMHO a) very difficult to expose 'in-camera' and b) not at all easy to improve in Post Processing.  Your first edit looks good to me: perhaps (only) the mid-tones could be lifted just slightly.

I'm not sure whether HDR always 'flattens' a photo (I never use HDR) but my guess is that it's difficult to get just right. I agree with previous 2 comments that your HDR edit does look flat and removes any sense of 'atmosphere'. It could just be that you were a bit heavy-handed on the exposures used in HDR. It could also be that a 'default' HDR setting tends towards 'average exposure' in all parts of the photo.

In situations like these, I find manual adjustments work better.

The middle exposure works best for me, the Goldlocks solution.  The HDR does for me what I often see when the technique is used, a lack of any feeling  and mood in the a photograph and candy-plastic-unrealstic look.  Here you did a really good job creating the effect but to me, it kills the image. However, if you take the interior down around 1 stop and bump contrast up by about 50 or so in PS, it could look pretty good, somewhere between your final image and the middle image.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but perhaps just not achieving the look you desire...and I'm not sure what that is. Any of the photos could stand on their own. If the final image isn't to your liking, you could reduce the exposure slightly andd increase the contrast to give it more "character".