Buying new: only the M11 makes any sense

Karim Ghantous

Perhaps it depends on the country. But looking at prices on Leica Store Miami's Website, I can see that the following cameras are all the same price - if they are available:

M10-R

M10M

M11

Given that fact, why would you buy the M10M or the M10-R? Are SD cards that expensive that you need to cut back on the megapixels? From what I've seen, the M10M isn't really any better than the M11 in terms of sensitivity. 

It's slightly different in Australian dollars, but not enough to make any meaningful difference.

10 hours ago, Sanford said:

I had said "best job of new camera purchase justification I'd seen in a while". Then I replaced it with a dot because I promised myself to become less negative with my responses on photo.net.

It doesn't sound negative to me! Anyway my post was a PSA for potential buyers. 

• Like 1

When my eyes couldn't focus a rangefinder I reluctantly sold all my Leica M and R things. My M replacement currently is a Sony A6000 wearing a 17-70mm Sony/Zeiss 4.0 zoom, light small pocketable with great autofocus. I enjoyed my 47 years using Leica and made some memorable images along the way.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

Just as an ask, what would a reasonable price for an M9 be? not replaced sensor, existing sensor corroded. I would have thought it's a basket case, but I don't follow these things.  Regards, arthur (apiarist1)

Roughly, US$1,500 or so. Maybe more if it's an M9-P or Monochrom. 

• Like 1

When buying a camera with a corroded sensor: AVOID the M9-P and M Monochrom. The S8612 cover glass is thoroughly epoxied into place and is very difficult to remove. The M9 cover glass is held in place with epoxy on the sides, and can be removed by cutting it. This is what Jadon at Red Dot Repair stated about replacing the cover glass.  The Epoxy on the M9-P and M Monochrom must be heated to soften it. This process can cause damage to the CCD.

• Like 2