Easing up the rules a bit.

Sanford

It's obvious that photo.net, if not dying, is stagnate. There are about 40 regulars and I rarely see a new name added. We have the ability to make/change the rules. Nobody is watching...nobody cares. Let's start by eliminating the 24 hour rule for starting a new "No Words" thread. So ludicrous come up with a theme just to realize it's only been 23 hours and you need to wait an hour.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Edwin Barkdoll said:

Reminiscent of Gary Larson's classic cartoon of 2 fishermen viewing a nuclear mushroom cloud in the distance: "I'll tell you what this means, Norm -- no size restrictions and screw the limit."

I wouldn't go quite that far.  It is most unfortunate that we seem to be in neutral at the moment, but I see old names pass through. new members joining and buckets of spam most mornings.  Been unpleasantly Winterish, so little to no photography for me, as I prefer current photos to archives.  Certainly there is room to experiment and try new directions, but it will be beneficial to retain the spirit of the long time Photo Net rule set.

• Like 4

I’m for adhering to or breaking rules as I see fit within my own photography. I think rules of engagement tend to be both necessary and helpful on PN and other web communities. While I may like some rules here more than others, I’m willing to abide by them for the sake of fairness, coherence, and community. Two rules I can think of that I appreciate the most are the 24-hour rule and the no words in No Words rule. I plan to abide by them and hope others will as well. I hope neither gets officially changed. 

"You talkin' to me?"

1 hour ago, Sanford said:

Rules set down decades ago by persons unknown and long forgotten.

Don’t judge a rule by who made it and when it was made. Judge it by its effectiveness and results. Without the one No Words thread initiation per day, the scenario could very well unfold whereby a few prolific photographers enthralled with their own photos could dominate that forum’s themes, and that would severely detract from the current more egalitarian and diverse situation that exists. I appreciate those threads that you start, Sanford, and the regularity with which you start them. Same goes for others who initiate weekly threads. I sense a lot of us look forward to them. I don’t think you (or anyone else) needs to start more. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Just now, Sanford said:

Well, let’s take a vote, no mail-in ballots though.

Or, let’s not. One moderator has already spoken and I suspect the other moderators would agree. Don’t push this. Why not save your self-described limited energy for creating your new Flickr gallery instead of working to undermine long-standing PN practices?

"You talkin' to me?"

2 minutes ago, samstevens said:

You're not wrong. A habit I've learned to live with. Though, it's interesting to note the pot who posted four times on this topic within a few minutes calling the kettle who responded black.

3 minutes ago, samstevens said:

pot

Finally a good idea!

• Very Nice 1

The posting rules for the NWF were created to keep the playing field level, fair, and chaos free.  I will reiterate what was said before, those rules will remain in place as long as I am moderator of that forum OR I am directed to change them by a higher authority (which is not you, Sanford).  The Gallery is freely open for submissions and several other fora are available for posting, for those who are unable to comply.

• Like 3

• WJT locked this topic

Clearly, though I agree with WJT,  the issue extends far beyond No Words to all the forums on Photo net.  Do be flexible, but please respect the traditional rules and courtesies.  If I am given direction to change, and / or new rule sets, I will inform you at once.  A bit of this is simply keeping the "living space" safe and comfortable.  One of the most attractive aspects of PN, even considering the amazing depth of knowledge, is the community.  Let's all continue to be good neighbors. 

• Like 3