Looking for Alternatives.

Sanford

I still enjoy photo.net but all these months after the migration it has become apparent the will be NO viable gallery, so the search begins. I have/had 6000 photos in 30 categories on my old p/n gallery. I wouldn't need nearly that many (about half would do) but would be adding about one per day. I want easy (drop in a TIFF and have it automatically resized) inexpensive, a custom name, no advertising. Some names that come up are Flicker, Smugmug, Zinfolio, some or all offer free trials. Any suggestions? Did I mention easy?

I've used Smugmug for many years and am very satisfied. They provide templates that make it relatively easy to construct a website to your liking. There is no need to resize before uploading. You can control access in many ways, including allowing only very small downloads. I haven't needed customer service often, but when I have, it has been very good 100% of the time.

You can easily upload from within your Smugmug site, but I post to Smugmug from Lightroom, as I have all of my photos, including those edited in other software, stored in my Lightroom catalog. There is a native Smugmug publishing option, but far better is a little plug-in from Jeffrey Friedl (http://regex.info/) that adds Smugmug to Lightroom's export dialog, with lots of options (size, image quality, yada yada). This creates the needed JPEG, uploads it to Smugmug, and deletes it. He has a similar plugin for uploading to Flickr.

Edited by paddler4
  • Like 1

"I have/had 6000 photos in 30 categories on my old p/n gallery"

I wonder if this is part of the problem,🙂

My modest gathering of images seems to have survived essentially unchanged.

I hate to say it, but we'd miss you if you go.🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sanford said:

I still enjoy photo.net but all these months after the migration it has become apparent the will be NO viable gallery, so the search begins. I have/had 6000 photos in 30 categories on my old p/n gallery. I wouldn't need nearly that many (about half would do) but would be adding about one per day. I want easy (drop in a TIFF and have it automatically resized) inexpensive, a custom name, no advertising. Some names that come up are Flicker, Smugmug, Zinfolio, some or all offer free trials. Any suggestions? Did I mention easy?

I echo your feelings .... thourgholy enjoy the PN forums discussions on images but find the gallery hosting frustrating. Considering flickr and adobe portfolio.  Organization into subgalleries is important to give some coherence. Keyword functionality is also a concern. Flickr seems to offer both. Ideally I would like to have the ability for presentation of a dropdown list of all the keywords I have assigned to images whereby viewers could click and see all my photos with that keyword (like adobe lightroom library), thus presenting varied perspectives for presentation. Flickr seems to offer keword attribution to photos, but I have more hope of adobe portfolio offering the search functionality in the future as the concept is already integrated into LR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wayne Melia said:

Ideally I would like to have the ability for presentation of a dropdown list of all the keywords I have assigned to images whereby viewers could click and see all my photos with that keyword

That exists in Flickr, but is quite well-hidden.

If I go to my own page, there's an 'About' tab. On that tab, if you scroll down past my 'About me' text, and my 'Showcase' of my own favourites of my pictures, and the details of when I joined, my city, etc., there are these stats about my Flickr account:

457.6K views

1.4K tags

2.5K geotags

258 faves

55 groups

And all those entries are clickable. The 'tags' entry links to https://www.flickr.com/photos/century_graphic/tags

If I look at that while logged in as myself, it shows me an alphabetic list of all my tags, and for each how many times I have used it. When I look at the same list for one of my contacts, I don't see the numbers, just the list of tags (and not even one-to-a-line any more). I can click on any tag in the list and see the photos that have that tag. So I can click on my tag 'barn' and it sends me to https://www.flickr.com/photos/century_graphic/tags/barn/ - if I'm not logged in, I get shown half a dozen sample stock photos from a Flickr affiliate, and an ad for Flickr Pro accounts with my results.

There's another thing about tags; Flickr has a bot that puts its own tags on your photos. When this was introduced, I was offered an opt-out, though it was clear the tags would still be applied; I just wouldn't see them. But those system tags seem only to be used for searching; they don't affect viewing via tags as I describe it above.

As far as I can see, this is the only way to do this via mouse-clicks. Of course, you could write that url for yourself. If some of my photos were to do with my interest in civil war monuments, I could send fellow monument-visitors a link to flickr.com/photos/century_graphic/tags/civilwarmonuments/

And of course, you can do the same job with an Album named Civil War Monuments instead. Each photo can be in any number of overlapping albums, and submitted to interest-groups named 'UK monuments', 'English Civil War', 'Obsessing About the Past', etc.

Edited by Dustin McAmera
  • Like 1

Than you, Dustin! Your effort in crafting your detailed and coherent reply is much appreciated. I am going to do more research on flickr. As a point of interest, I viewed your account on flickr, clicked on about>tags, and was presented with photos with that tag, and photos by you were presented as a set.

Sanford, hopefully it doesn't have to be either one or the3 othel. I post on Flickr as well but you have pay a fee to host the amount of photos you're describing.. It's not pricey though.  I have friends that do like Smug mug. It's great for wedding and event photographers as you can create a gallery for each event and control access for clients or wedding guests only, but don't have to use that way.  

I have many more photos on Flickr than here and sort of pull ones I like, to show on P.NET. But there's many orders of more images on Flickr generally, no comparison to here.

Hope you choose to stick around, you would definitely be missed.

Edited by httpwww.photo.netbarry
  • Like 1

Another alternative worth considering is 500px. This site allows you to create Albums and Portfolios. JPEG upload only.  The free plan lets you upload 21 photos/week. The paid plans (starting at $5/month) allow unlimited uploads + extras.

Photo.net Galleries/Albums

I have no inside information about how galleries/albums will eventually shake out here. FWIW, I've been browsing the Invision community now and again just (out curiosity) to find out more about what's possible on the Invision platform w.r.t. photos. @mjensen and his team obviously have a lot more insight and hopefully plans. 

Sharing photos via 'photo categories' in the Gallery works well. As far as I can see, it is also possible to allow individual members to create their own Albums (normally within the 'Member Albums' category). This has not yet been done. However, as far as I can see, the 'standard' Invision platform doesn't allow members to create sub-albums within their personal Albums. Though they could create multiple personal Albums.  It's possible that the Invision team have found - or will find - a better way for members to organize their own photos into multiple personal albums.

For now, I agree that -especially if you have a large number of photos that you want to publish - it's worth considering alternatives.

Edited by mikemorrellNL
  • Like 2
  • Excellent! 1

I can not say if this is totally correct or even if it helps the OP's problem but in any case, regarding our personal galleries that existed on the old site it seems that now we have ALBUMS.  I was able to move several of my uploaded images, as a test, to a newly created album. I was able to name this album Flowers-Trees-Gardens. The moved images now appear in this album similarly to how they apperaed in the gallery that was on the old site.  In addition, the albums appear under a new tab on my profile page :  Activity, Images, Albums. Regards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WJT said:

The first link in Dustin's post takes me to Sanford's profile page. The second link takes me to my own page. This site really does need some attention.

That was my fault. 😳 I copied a link to your Albums tab, to get its format, then overwrote it with Sanford's member number; but the URL it linked to was still yours. Now, it sends me to Sanford's Activity tab, because the Albums tab doesn't exist.

Just now, Dustin McAmera said:

That was my fault. 😳 I copied a link to your Albums tab, to get its format, then overwrote it with Sanford's member number; but the URL it linked to was still yours. Now, it sends me to Sanford's Activity tab, because the Albums tab doesn't exist.

I thought that might be the case. No problem. Regards.